Top Gear: Series 19

Caporegime
Interesting to see how well the new Astra VXR compared to the ST and RS, would seem Vauxhall took onboard a lot of the criticism of the last one and really stepped up their game.

They did mention it a lot on the build up to the release that they wanted to focus on having a more involving car like hydraulic steering and a proper mechanical LSD. It is promising for petrol heads as Clarkson pointed out with the ST's leccy' systems isn't as involving as fire and brimstone of old.

Associate
Interesting to see how well the new Astra VXR compared to the ST and RS, would seem Vauxhall took onboard a lot of the criticism of the last one and really stepped up their game.

Yes along with the price as well.

27k for an Astra??? :eek:

300hp Focus RS please with some spare change :D

Soldato
Thought that was a great episode, especially liked the rugby segment at the end. Quite surprising about the Focus though, as many others have rated it higher than the Astra. Not bad considering it should be the RS (although not out) against the cars and not an ST.. still ugly as sin though!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Brilliant episode and genuinely funny.
Nothing like some ridiculous and unexpected cameos during the KIA test and the rugby at the end was surprisingly entertaining.
Add Lewis' lap and that was by far the best episode so far.

Soldato
Bit disappointed with the Focus ST, doesn't seem like a step forward from the previous car really.
The new one has 20 more bhp, 30 lb-ft more torque, adds 10mpg to the combined average and 60 g/km CO2 less. That is definatley a step forward.

Yes along with the price as well.

27k for an Astra??? :eek:

300hp Focus RS please with some spare change :D
BMW M135i - 316bhp and RWD :)

OcUK Staff
The new one has 20 more bhp, 30 lb-ft more torque, adds 10mpg to the combined average and 60 g/km CO2 less. That is definatley a step forward.

BMW M135i - 316bhp and RWD :)

No denying the new Ford engines are superb and also very tuneable too. :)
But looks wise for me it's a big step backwards and it seems no better to drive than previous car whereas Fords rivals have all improved in how fun and capable they are to drive.

Soldato

A step forwards in specs, but it's lost the famed 5 pot engine, the gorgeous engine note, the informative handling, and the 3 door look. As a drivers car, it's taken a step back for me.

No denying the new Ford engines are superb and also very tuneable too. :)
But looks wise for me it's a big step backwards and it seems no better to drive than previous car whereas Fords rivals have all improved in how fun and capable they are to drive.

Exactly. You could easily give it a remap to millions of horses and torque, but fundamentaly it has lost some of the fun factor with electrical hokey pokey in the steering department.

Associate
A step forwards in specs, but it's lost the famed 5 pot engine, the gorgeous engine note, the informative handling, and the 3 door look. As a drivers car, it's taken a step back for me.

I think it's taken a step forward overall. The 5 pot engine had to go because of its high fuel consumption, emissions etc. That engine sounded nice, but the new engine has more power whilst being more economical and cleaner. If you've seen any videos of the new ST it still sounds pretty nice and meaty from inside the cabin due to the sound symposer thing they fitted.

3 door is a fair point, but Ford hasn't even shown a 3 door focus yet. Besides I think Ford have gone with a more mature family man in mind with the new ST.

Overall I think Ford could have made the ST better than it is, but they almed to get it out there undercutting its rivals on price and succeded. The RS will be more hardcore and driver focused.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom