xeon or i7 ??

Associate
OP
That's my suspicion.

No this isnt another DREAM thread thanks ! wouldnt have asked if i didnt have the resources to build one.

Just for everyone to know ive got my setup up and going now. i went for the sr-x with 2xe5-2620w 2ghz six cores, havent maxed the ram yet ive only got 64gb ram atm untill my order arrives some time in the week, i also have partial watercooling ready just a few more bits to get.

I dont think its fair for you lot to PRESUME that its a little kit dreaming of a build .... I'm 24, have my own home, nice car, and i work 7 days a week for the things i have so yes i want to treat myself to a complete overkill build ... whats so wrong with that ?

If people on here havent got anything productive to say keep it to yourself !

I have nothing against any of you genuine peeps just trying to help at all, ive just had enough of everyone on any forum i ask end up just thinking im a kid and treating me as such.

I appologise for the rant but needs to be said lol

Now if you want to have a go at me for giving my opinion then carry on... i'm quite happy to leave the forums and go elsewere if no one wants to act like a productive adult .

Associate
OP
If you have to ask what the difference between a single i7 and dual xeons with 96gb of memory then you should really do a little bit of research into what you are going to use it for. Or is this just another "I am dreaming of buying a silly spec computer" thread?

Am i wrong in thinking this is the place for advice ?? I asked because i'm told this is the place too... not a place that people just advise you go else were for it.

Soldato
You get a few dreamers asking for silly specs on here. I think the main thing that made people suspicious is you never said what the system is for. The chips and amount if ram you asked about tend to go in workstations but you never gave any indication as to whether that was the case.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You get a few dreamers asking for silly specs on here. I think the main thing that made people suspicious is you never said what the system is for. The chips and amount if ram you asked about tend to go in workstations but you never gave any indication as to whether that was the case.

Its not for a certain use to be honest, Like i said i work 7 days a week and i love my tech and have seen the sr-x at a gadget show before, i love the look of the sr-x board too (i know many dont because of the position of the ram slots)

Use wise, i do a lot of gaming, a lot of video editing (for work) and music production, And recently ive got into game creation and animation for the games so it does take a lot of power. the i7 might well handle it i was more just general info about them.

I dont use a lot of stuff which would need a workstation as such but my love for tech just takes me to the higher specs on everything.

I know there a lot of dreamers out there but its annoying when the genuine get tainted with the same brush ....

Associate
OP
In the next two weeks this should be fully built (when i get the time in the evenings after work), i shall post pics for everyone to check it out if anyone has doubts...

Soldato
I know people who have spent tens of thousands of pounds on stupid shopping trolly cars back in the day, when ruining an already dreadful Corsa was cool. If the man wants 24 threads to play CSS, more power to him. It's a relatively cheap hobby, compared to modding cars, golf, even high end photography etc. I could blow £5k on hobbyking.com in about 20 minutes if I had it :D

Soldato
Its not for a certain use to be honest, Like i said i work 7 days a week and i love my tech and have seen the sr-x at a gadget show before, i love the look of the sr-x board too (i know many dont because of the position of the ram slots)

Use wise, i do a lot of gaming, a lot of video editing (for work) and music production, And recently ive got into game creation and animation for the games so it does take a lot of power. the i7 might well handle it i was more just general info about them.

I dont use a lot of stuff which would need a workstation as such but my love for tech just takes me to the higher specs on everything.

I know there a lot of dreamers out there but its annoying when the genuine get tainted with the same brush ....

If you'd said all that to start with the thread would probably have been very different. It's always difficult on the interwebs to tell who's genuine and who isn't. Taking it personally when people doubt you isn't going to get you anywhere.

MCH

MCH

Associate
Got a xeon server a work which we do a lot of building on, it's literally impossible to max the CPU/RAM out. There is no way you will need a Xeon and 96GB of ram is just stupid/ego buying.

Permabanned
I love how everyone jumped on this guy saying that he`s wasting money... I agreed with that myself untill I looked at my own actions from side, and how I spend money on something people believe is total waste.

OP keep it up man, dont listen to them lol... OP pc building isnt even that expensive compared to other hobbies people take on...

Half of them probably go to a shop and buy armani t shirt for 80 quid and come here and blame you for being wasteful..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom