16Gb to 20Gb worth it?

Associate
So I have two stick of 8gb in my machine at the moment, but I stumbled across two 2gb sticks the other day of an identical speed (although different make) and was wondering if throwing them in too might affect performance negatively?

Associate
Presuming with your sig, you are running a mid range gaming setup. 20GB RAM is not going to make a difference over 16, hell 16 barely makes a difference over 8 unless you are running multiple games at a time.

Associate
OP
I'm a software developer, and quite often have a lot of memory-greedy 'applications' compiling or testing all at the same time, so I'm really appreciating having 16Gb at the moment. That said, I've not breached 12Gb of that yet (that I've noticed at least), so I definitely don't need 20Gb, but I've got the sticks lying around and they're barely worth selling at the moment, so the only reason not to chuck them in this machine is any risk of performance degradation.

<edit>Unless anyone in the Cornwall-area wants to come pick them up in exchange for a can of beer? :p</edit>

Soldato
compiling programs on a 3gig dual core i3? you must have the patience of a saint, however no it wont make any difference and it could slow things down depending on the ratings of the memory, if your current stuff runs at 1600 slapping some 1333 stuff in would make things slower

Associate
Better sell these 4 GB RAM and use the money for a better upgrade. Adding 4GB to your 16GB will not make you any good really.

Unless you run a lot of VM or you do photo editing wiht huge images, etc. where you may actually benefit the extra RAM.

Soldato
Install the memory, if system runs as before without effecting other memory leave them in.

Memory is memory, better it installed in your PC then sitting on a shelf!

Caporegime
Lolwut? It will be fine, absolutely and categorically.

Lolwut? There's usually no difficulty running different manufacturer's RAM together but it won't absolutely and categorically be fine.

OP what OS are you using?

You need certain versions of Windows to use more than 16GB.

Back
Top Bottom