Looking into a second camera, full frame???

Soldato
I have sealed 2 wedding bookings this year, nothing fancy but only charged a low price, really just for some experience with doing a wedding for people I know who aren't after top end wedding images, just a collection to look back on in years to come.

Now currently I have a 550d but feel especially as a wedding isn't something you can afford for a kit failure, I think I need i will require a second body.

My dilemma is really between the likes of the 7D or go for a 5D, a good used 5D mk1 can be had for as little as 400 quid.

I just wanted a general opinion on this as I've never owned a full frame body before!

I'm right in thinking also my kit 18-55 won't fit the 5d but my 70-200 and 35mm f/2 will?

Thanks in advance!

Associate
It's the age old question. Crop or FF. You should probably go for the 5D as you already have a crop camera, albeit a lower end one. You are right that your kit lens won't fit as it is an EF-S lens and doesn't have the clearance for the FF mirror. I would suggest a 50mm 1.8 as a good n cheap universal lens. Depends on your budget really.

Soldato
You would find the screen on a 5D a bit of a shock!

Do you have a budget as that will let us know what you can realistically afford.

I'm guessing money is tight so I'd go 5D and tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and use that as your main body. put the 70-200 on the 550D as a second body and get a 50mm f1.8 in the bag for when the light is really low. I'd also look into a flash or two youngo seem the budget ettl brand of choice.

Someone will tell you in this thread that you are not ready to shoot a wedding and they maybe right but as long as the correct expectations, contracts and insurance are in place and you are confident you can deliver then go for it.

Soldato
tbh the odds are your not ready, and them not being unable to bring themselves to show the pictures to anyone. The couple will likely regret cheaping out on a photographer for the rest of their married life.

Maybe your going to beat the odds and deliver some respectable pictures, but that's not going to happen without allot of practice and preparation.
Tbh I don't know what standard your photography is at the moment. If your a particularly good amateur, you probably will do a good job, especially in summer where lack of light isn't such an issue.

Whatever you do, just don't produce work like below. Although unlikely, you could get sued for more than they paid you.
http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2012/01/should-i-book-a-professional-wedding-photographer-or-get-a-friend-to-do-it-for-free-a-cautionary-tale/

Soldato
You are going to be responsible for capturing images from what is regarded as one of the biggest days in peoples lives.

You NEED:

1) 2 cameras - the "I dropped it and I'm really sorry" excuse doesn't cut it.

2) back up lenses - the "my only 85mm lens stopped working" excuse doesn't cut it.

3) f2.8 or better lenses - the "well the vicar said I couldn't use flash" excuse doesnt cut it. This is especially true if you dont have bodies that perform well at high ISO.

4) Public liability insurance - many venues will not let you shoot there professionally unless you have it. Plus what do you do if your tripod falls over and gouges the vintage Rolls Royce.

I'm not saying "don't do it", just "do it with your eyes open".

Lastly - good luck !

Caporegime
OP, have you done any wedding stuff before?

I did my first 5 pro bono, I did that on purpose from the outset, it was a learning curve, payment was experience but because it was free there was no consideration thus I didn't own them anything so can't be sued even if I messed up or even not turn up.

Gear isn't everything but unlike other parts of photography, decent gear can make or break your photos in weddings. The more basic you gear is, the more you need to think outside the box for that shot and that moment. This however comes from experience and talent.

If X is Techncial, from gear, to exposure to ISO to fast glass; and
Y is Art, from composition, the moment, processing and use of lighting

X + Y = Good photograph

The weight of X and Y is varied from photograph to photograph, but the more you lack in X you willl inevitably need to make up for in Y. It won't be your gear specifically that would worry me, I know lots of great photographs have shot with the 5D, but personally it would be your lack of experience that troubles me more. I wouldn't go into the depth of TP and tell you not to do it, but I personally would do it for free, it will take the pressure off you. You can then enjoy the day.

Soldato

I did my first 5 pro bono, I did that on purpose from the outset, it was a learning curve, payment was experience but because it was free there was no consideration thus I didn't own them anything so can't be sued even if I messed up or even not turn up.

Gear isn't everything but unlike other parts of photography, decent gear can make or break your photos in weddings. The more basic you gear is, the more you need to think outside the box for that shot and that moment. This however comes from experience and talent.

X + Y = Good photograph

The weight of X and Y is varied from photograph to photograph, but the more you lack in X you willl inevitably need to make up for in Y. It won't be your gear specifically that would worry me, I know lots of great photographs have shot with the 5D, but personally it would be your lack of experience that troubles me more. I wouldn't go into the depth of TP and tell you not to do it, but I personally would do it for free, it will take the pressure off you. You can then enjoy the day.

Ray, knows what he is talking about and taking some beautiful wedding shots.

One thing I would add is that even for free, people still have expectations.

Soldato
OP
Ok, in the OP i said i'd charged low amount, really just enough to cover my expenses on the day as well as my costs for prints & albums.

The people who's weddings I am doing are aware i've never been a photographer for a wedding before, both are registry office ceremonies and a reception at a golf club/hotel, just want me to capture the typical group shots, a few of them on the green/in the hotel gardens and just give them some images to remember the day.

Now, I had a 50mm 1.8 but when using it on my 550d in the home studio setup for childrens portraits i found it too zoomy in the limited room in my living room so sold that in favour of a 35 f/2.

I looked into camera hire but a quick google suggested a week hire of a 5DII was £200+, I'd rather pay the extra and own the damn thing really! Lens hire on the other hand seemed quite reasonable and depending on the camera setup was considering hiring either a 17-40 or 24-105 (another discussion entirely)

I really just wanted opinions on the 2 cameras in question (5D and 7D) and the pro's and cons of each. I also shoot landscapes, motorsport, portraits, and generally anything I can point my camera at.

Hope thats covered all the above questions :)

Soldato
OP

X + Y = Good photograph

Hi Ray,

I have contacted a lot of local wedding photographers to see if they'd allow a shadow photographer to join them on a booking (obviously if their customer approved too) to learn about how things happen, I'm even willing to travel a long way for the opportunity!

As for the weddings ive got booked, as above really, they are for friends who know my skill level and that ive never done this solo before. So as much as I'm sure I will feel very nervous on the day, I can take some reassurance in they know me and know what to expect from me.

As for planning I'm taking a trip to both reception locations prior to the wedding day to work out where the sun will be for my photos (assuming nice weather of course) and to work out and jot down some ideas i'd like to try on the day.

I dont use the forums as much as I ever used to but still keep an eye on your work for inspiration and generally to have a look at!

Back
Top Bottom