A few from yesterday

Associate
A few from a walk round Sheffield today. Unfortunately it was late in the afternoon so the light wasn't ideal and sun low in the sky.

DSC_1448.jpg by JTFB Photography, on Flickr

DSC_1454.jpg by JTFB Photography, on Flickr

DSC_1474.jpg by JTFB Photography, on Flickr

DSC_1481.jpg by JTFB Photography, on Flickr

DSC_1489.jpg by JTFB Photography, on Flickr

DSC_1497.jpg by JTFB Photography, on Flickr

DSC_1503.jpg by JTFB Photography, on Flickr

DSC_1539.jpg by JTFB Photography, on Flickr

Soldato
5-7-8 for me, the cheese grater shot is a Sheffield classic a bit like the bull ring photo in Birmingham (you all know the one!) but it's well executed. Nice take on Park hill flats really nice light on it and an interesting angle/composition.

The others are a bit snap shot for me, reminds me that I keep saying I'll go and take some photos round the city. I always see interesting things when out shopping with the wife but never have my camera in town!

Associate
OP
I really like these! Especially 7 & 8.

Thank you :)

5-7-8 for me, the cheese grater shot is a Sheffield classic a bit like the bull ring photo in Birmingham (you all know the one!) but it's well executed. Nice take on Park hill flats really nice light on it and an interesting angle/composition.

The others are a bit snap shot for me, reminds me that I keep saying I'll go and take some photos round the city. I always see interesting things when out shopping with the wife but never have my camera in town!

Yeah I try and take my camera with me when I wonder up into town in case I see something interesting. I was lucky with the light on park hill and was quite happy with how it came out

Soldato
Take away the Greggs and the council bin from your first photo and I'd have thought that was some slum market in a foreign country. I think you fully captured the bleakness there.

Associate
OP
Take away the Greggs and the council bin from your first photo and I'd have thought that was some slum market in a foreign country. I think you fully captured the bleakness there.

It is a deprived part of the city. They are moving the market and a lot of shops to the other end of the city centre. As a result where this photo was shot gets worse by the week.

Soldato
Thank you :)

Yeah I try and take my camera with me when I wonder up into town in case I see something interesting. I was lucky with the light on park hill and was quite happy with how it came out

It's probably something I should do more often but sadly my camera fidling doens't fit in too well with the other hlfs shopping habits!

The redevelopment of parkhill is really interesting, it's funny how you can suddenly see the long faded colours in the remaining original buildings now they hve done up that section. I still can't decide if it is a blot on the landscape or an interesting relic of our past and a piece of social history, the wiki article is certainly worth a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Hill,_Sheffield

It is a deprived part of the city. They are moving the market and a lot of shops to the other end of the city centre. As a result where this photo was shot gets worse by the week.

The castle market area has been bad for ages but the plan to move the market combined with the general downturn in the city centre is turning it into a total hole. It will be interesting to see if the new market can reinvigorate the moor and what they do with the old Castel Market area.

Associate
OP
I like the new parkhill development- certainly a lot better than the ramshackle state they were in.

I live at Victoria Quays so its always a depressing walk into town past castle market. I like the thought of the new market but from what I have read not sure how well it is going to go

Associate
Number 7 is a really nice shot - one of those that makes you think "what the hell is it?"

I like number 8 as well, but I think it could do with a little increase in exposure and saturation?

Number 1 sadly could be any street, any town in the UK. Very depressing situation for retailers out there and this about sums it up.

I really cannot understand town planners here in the UK. They think adding a few steel balls into an already cluttered street scene will 'improve' the urban landscape. The Europeans have the right idea - massive public squares surrounded by interesting buildings - we just get all cluttered and claustrophobic!

Soldato
I like number 1 for some reason, the deserted street and abandoned shops showing quite well the story of all of the UK high streets.

I'd however like to see a B&W conversion on this and its a real shame the sky is over exposed as a moody sky would finish it off for me!

Back
Top Bottom