The Heat is on!!!! 2013 chilli growing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Mine are all starting to come up very slowly now!
Took over 2 weeks though, but cant complain as they will need a lot of time yet, was -4 this morning.

Ordered: Hot Cherry, NuMex Twilight & Summer Fire Pepper along with some 'Chilli Focus' as above. Are there any guides for planting and etc, and how to best ensure they germinate?
I ordered most of what you ordered, planted them in rock wool and stuck them in a little plastic housing. Watered twice in 2 weeks (rock wool holds water like nobodies business!) and now almost all of them have come up, and a select few are already growing rapidly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Started mine for the first time. I have mine next to a radiator, will that be warm enough considering it's not on all the time? I am watering with a spray bottle once a day, is that right for germination? Thanks!

Soldato
Not moving till 12th March and can't get anything going now. Will it be too late to start germinating then?

If so, will have to buy seedlings.

You should be fine! Just! Id be confident in getting some fruit at least. Maybe sow some and then also buy some seedlings.

Started mine for the first time. I have mine next to a radiator, will that be warm enough considering it's not on all the time? I am watering with a spray bottle once a day, is that right for germination? Thanks!

They should be fine by the radiator. The first year I grew chillies that's all I used to germinate them. With watering, using a spray bottle is useful, just don't water every day regardless of whether they actually need it.

Soldato
Well mine are all going really well. I germinated my seeds using kitchen roll in a tupperware container and I am impressed with the results. I have a lot more control that way as I can see exactly what has germinated. What I will say to anyone that does it this way is to ensure you take them out as soon as the roots reach about 3 - 4 mm in length. I left mine in for over a week and when I checked them some of the chilli seeds had grown into full plants already. Removing them from the kitchen roll required a lot of care as the roots had started to form inbetween the layers of the kitchen roll. Next time I'll check them more often.

Anyway, here's a picture of my plants now:

chilliplants.jpg

I've grown the following:

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend
Naga King Chilli
Nagalah Chilli
Lemon Globe Chilli
Curry Chilli
Hot Cherry F1 Chilli
Lemon Habanero Chilli
Chocolate Habanero
Orange Habanero 10 Red Habanero
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, (Big Sun)
Red Scotch Bonnet Caribbean Antillais

Man of Honour
Sowed mine today. Away all week, so hopefully when I get back Friday we will have some sign of life.
My plan is to grow them all under grow lights for as long as possible and as they get to big start transferring the, to one of those plastic greenhouse type things. Only got space for 3 or 4 permanent under the grow lights. Sowed 9 varietys 30 seeds in total.

Soldato
So I've sowed all my seeds in my heated propogator, but unsure how often to water them? Also, I currently have the air vents closed at the top? This right? Guess it keeps the moisture in.

Soldato
So I've sowed all my seeds in my heated propogator, but unsure how often to water them? Also, I currently have the air vents closed at the top? This right? Guess it keeps the moisture in.

Lid on and vents closed for now. When the weather gets warmer I open the vents and I'll turn the propagator off until I'm ready to repot them. Check the soil once or twice per day and water a little when it seems dry but don't overwater. If the soil is moist they'll be fine.

Permabanned
Potted a lot of mine up now, on the window sill still.

Just a heads up from people looking to buy seeds, Chilliseeds.co.uk are now on my blacklist.
Ordered something from them, waited a month before emailing. They said stock should be in 'soon' so i requested a refund instead, had to email them 5 more times over a period of 4 weeks to try and get a refund, they finally refunded me but it said 'clears 4th of march' and today it was cancelled.
So still out of pocket, still missing my order and they keep telling me they will sort it.

Will look elsewere next time!

Soldato
All mine germinated :)
apart from the chocolate bhuts :(

I just planted straight in a propagator, and after a week of no show, put them in the airing cupboard for a couple of days.

At what height should I pot them up? some of then are over 2inchs tall already.

Soldato
OK cheers.

Looks like a couple of my chocolate bhuts have decided to join the party :)

Out of interest, how long did they take to germinate? Mine have been in heated prop as shown for about a week. I am keeping the soil moist to the touch, and lids closed as instructed, but no sign of anything as of yet...

Soldato
Out of interest, how long did they take to germinate? Mine have been in heated prop as shown for about a week. I am keeping the soil moist to the touch, and lids closed as instructed, but no sign of anything as of yet...

I left my unheated incubator on the window sill for about ten days, when noting was showing, I put the incubator in my airing cupboard for two days. When I checked, my fatalli were trying to escape the incubator and most of the others (bar the bhuts) had at least one showing. After about 4 days back on the window sill with the lid removed and daily watering, three of my six bhuts have started to show.

I'd expect to see something by the end of another week I suppose. How deep were they?

Permabanned
I can eat Naga Bhut Jolkias straight, with no problem.

Should I enter a chilli eating competition? Do they exist?

I reacently tried some Hotter than Hell paste, and it was tangy, but most of my friends were gasping, weeping, and downing milk.

I hope I have not damaged my taste buds with excess hot chilli consumption.

:(

Soldato
got 3 batchs of seeds trying to germinate. first lot planted last week.

twilight
cayenne red
habanero red
Trinidad scorpion butch T's

anxiously looking for signs of life. who would have thought plant growing was stressful? :) beginners nerves i think.

Soldato
I'm really no expert here, but I am growing two of those miniature peppers plants (1 out of two has germinated so far) and I bought some chilis (can't remember the type) and one out of two of those has germinated too.

I don't have a propogator, but I had some small little plastic sowing cells which I then put into the server room at work where the temperature is consistently toasty and I got my first shoots after about 7 days (yesterday). It was very exciting, going to keep them in the server room for at least another 5-6 days and then plant them out into their final containers when they are big enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom