Playstation 4 being announced February 20th?

Caporegime
Yes but the PS3 does not play them natively. And encode on the fly is going on on the server in real-time in order for the PS3 to play them,

Its a buggy PITA resource hungry faff.

is this really a big problem? especially when you can buy a raspberry pi or a xbmc capable device for less than £100 these days?

Soldato
Hundreds of thousands of people/millions will back up their discs. I have the choice of looking through XBMC for the title, or going through the boxes of DVDs/Blu rays under my bed.....easy choice.

Soldato
I think what might happen with GTA:V is they launch the native PowerPC/Cell versions in September but when they come to do the PC version in mid-2014 they will then get it going on PS4/Xbox Next, too.

This could be a disaster for both sony and rockstar.

Can you imagine them saying "Here is GTA V, but tbh you are better off waiting a couple of months as a better version will be available on the next gen consoles".

It's really bad timing to be releasing the biggest selling game on current gen 2 months before the release of the next gen consoles especially as there is no backwards compatibility.

Caporegime
Can you imagine them saying "Here is GTA V, but tbh you are better off waiting a couple of months as a better version will be available on the next gen consoles".

Hmm but they're not likely to announce they're working on a PC/next-gen console edition until six months after launch which is when sales will have dropped off. Although the DLC will likely create an issue. Hmm. Spanner. Works.

Soldato
But just the fact they are releasing it 2 months before the next console with no backwards compat is just crazy in my opinion.

GTA V is going to be huge they are estimating sales way beyond anything before and too not be able to play this on the PS4 is a real problem.

There is probably something being worked out we don't know about I imagine

Soldato
MKV when used correctly is just a container, you can have a loss-less backup of a bluray in the MKV format.

So your point is moot.

My point is my opinion, just like yours is.

I fail to see the urge to store 600+ blurays at 25/50gb a pop at all personally and wasting time converting them all. I like having them on my bookcase and bunging them into the bluray player when I want to play them.

Back to topic, I doubt the MKV support will be defining factor for the masses, certainly not the millions you claim it will.

Soldato
Hundreds of thousands of people/millions will back up their discs.

Exaggerate much? The only time I've heard of anyone backing-up their discs are on enthusiast forums such as this. The vast majority of people don't have the time, inclination or hardware to do it.

That's not to say native MKV support wouldn't be very welcome, it's a real hassle having to run MKVs stored on my NAS through MKV2VOB and then copy them back again. It isn't really going to be a deciding factor for most people though.

Soldato
But just the fact they are releasing it 2 months before the next console with no backwards compat is just crazy in my opinion.

GTA V is going to be huge they are estimating sales way beyond anything before and too not be able to play this on the PS4 is a real problem.

There is probably something being worked out we don't know about I imagine

It will probably get a re release on PS4 later on, but to change an almost finished game on the current platform, to a new platform would be mad, It could even be launched on Gaikei at the same time !! who knows.

Im really enjoyed last night, the new DS4 looks great, could have a little more trigger though.

The watchdogs looked stunning, definatly going to buy that. Looking forward to seeing a GT6 announcement, after seeing the other racing game, GT6 should be amazing.

Caporegime
No indications as to whether we're getting 720p or 1080p games though. :(

This could be where MS and Sony might be different. I'm expecting the Xbox to mandate 1080p games.

i'm pretty sure @ the launch thing 1080p gaming was mentioned at least once.

also as said before MKV support will have zero bearing on whether this console is a success or not, i bet there is only a handful of people who will be miffed.

the screen i use for gaming, is the same screen i use for my pc, therefore i watch mkv's through my pc.

Soldato
No we didn't.

We saw a tech demo from Capcom, a tech demo of a head from Quantic Dream, a CGI video of infamous, a suspicious looking killzone "live demo", Watchdog running on a pc and were told "A new final fantasy is going to be put into development shortly"... lol.

No we didn't what? I was pointing out games and devs that were coming to ps4, vs him saying there was nothing coming worth while. As per the conversation I was having. How does anything you've said show that what I said was incorrect O.o

Soldato
Everyone I know who uses MKV is because they downloaded it illegally.

I don't have any use for it, and I own hundreds of blurays. I prefer to enjoy my films in the IQ and sound quality that the format offers, not compressing it.

so do I - I have about 600 BR's (and had over the years about another 400 which Ive sold on lol) and most of what I have are ripped to full quality (ie 30-40GB a rip) MKV and on my server so I dont have to swap discs or anything

I promise you, this is not a reason for not using MKV's - they can be completely identical to the source BR

Soldato
Exaggerate much? The only time I've heard of anyone backing-up their discs are on enthusiast forums such as this. The vast majority of people don't have the time, inclination or hardware to do it.

That's not to say native MKV support wouldn't be very welcome, it's a real hassle having to run MKVs stored on my NAS through MKV2VOB and then copy them back again. It isn't really going to be a deciding factor for most people though.

I think millions download mkv, rather than do backups lol. I still dont think millions even own bluray drives considering the naughty alternative. But yes. I would welcome mkv support

Soldato
No indications as to whether we're getting 720p or 1080p games though. :(

This could be where MS and Sony might be different. I'm expecting the Xbox to mandate 1080p games.

I cant see there being 720p games on the PS4.

If anything given the specs and Ram i expect Sony to mandate 1080p games, than the other way around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom