OcUK Trackday: Donnington 8th May 2013: £177.50 - CANCELLED!!!!

Soldato
I'm on holiday so can't attend.

Your speedo is broken then. There is no way you are doing 115mph real speed. Unless you have recently fitted a supercharger of course

No, it isn't, that was measured GPS by a passenger, presumably would be a touch faster solo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDcfeZHtdwk&list=FLlXhb4shrEpzD-TjuI7Ompw&index=3
As you can see there, touching 110 after being held up by traffic, 5mph on that with a clear run is easy. That day I was using those heinous thick ARBs too and the car felt awful.
Not sure why I post this stuff though, I have nothing to prove really.

Anyway, I will probably sit this one out after a month of non stop frivolous spending :/ Might pop along although I will definitely be on track in May.

Caporegime
No, it isn't, that was measured GPS by a passenger, presumably would be a touch faster solo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDcfeZHtdwk&list=FLlXhb4shrEpzD-TjuI7Ompw&index=3
As you can see there, touching 110 after being held up by traffic, 5mph on that with a clear run is easy. That day I was using those heinous thick ARBs too and the car felt awful.
Not sure why I post this stuff though, I have nothing to prove really.

You are doing 110mph is at the old hairpin, not craners. Its doing 100mph there.

I'm not sure why you post stuff like this either - at least learn the track before claiming to do 115mph through a different corner.

Soldato
Anyone know for sure if the organisers require my Mx5 to have a roll cage fitted or would the hardtop be enough?

I know a cage is advisable, but I need to know if its a requirement before ordering one.

OcUK Staff
OP
Anyone know for sure if the organisers require my Mx5 to have a roll cage fitted or would the hardtop be enough?

I know a cage is advisable, but I need to know if its a requirement before ordering one.

Nope, its not a race, its a trackday. Only if its a race you need cages and all that etc.

This is a trackday, bring your road car, as long as its got an MOT, it is fine. :)

Soldato
You are doing 110mph is at the old hairpin, not craners. Its doing 100mph there.

I'm not sure why you post stuff like this either - at least learn the track before claiming to do 115mph through a different corner.

Looks like 75 through the old hairpin to me, not sure where you are looking.
I would count the entirety until the braking point for the hairpin as craners, you are turning the whole time. I didn't realise we were being so pedantic, but since we are, the comparison with the Porsche video is still valid since I was looking at the peak speed through the section.

Maybe you are looking at this as if it's a willy waving contest or something. Perhaps I should set the record straight and say I've never managed to keep up with any 997 around Donington over a full lap, not even 1 sector.

OcUK Staff
OP
I would count the entirety until the braking point for the hairpin as craners, you are turning the whole time. I didn't realise we were being so pedantic, but since we are, the comparison with the Porsche video is still valid since I was looking at the peak speed through the section.

Maybe you are looking at this as if it's a willy waving contest or something. Perhaps I should set the record straight and say I've never managed to keep up with any 997 around Donington over a full lap, not even 1 sector.

Not getting involved with this what is craners and is not, but in your context its the first part of craners that scares the hell out of me. :D

In that first section is where I hover around 102-104mph, peak of 108mph, the second part where you hit 110mph is possible, I've done it but generally I don't bother and just hold 102-104ish. But I definetely find the intial part of craners a lot more scary than the second bit where you can accelerate to about 110mph if your pushing before having to slow to around 75ish for old hairpin then flat all the way up the hill after old hairpin.

Soldato
The bump in the middle is what screws me up, it fully bumps the rear suspension when wide open. Same thing which caused me to lose control in the wet. I just love the buzz of adrenaline when the car gets out of shape showing 120 or something stupid on the clock with a 90 deg bend right in front.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Right, those who are 110% going and ready to go, please drop me an email at:-

[email protected], also cc my work email too [email protected]

Once I've got the 10 emails of people saying they are going to pay, I shall email you all my bank details to make bank transfer, once this is done I shall update this thread to show you've paid. Then once everyone has paid me, I shall book the 10 places in one go with the organisers.

Please bear in mind because this is a group purchase/discount, I have no idea how it stands for refunds if anyone drops out, so based on this be prepared for no refund possible, though I am pretty sure the organiser could sort something out.

Caporegime

http://www.nickleason.co.uk/circuits/Donington.jpg

There is a slight kink before the old hairpin, I guess this isnt the old hairpin, but nor is it craners. But I read '110mph through craners' as through the corner rather than doing 110mph at the braking point for the corner after it.

I picked up on it as I was amazed your 328 had such a higher speed than my S2000, infact they appear to be similar.

Im still confused how your track car on coilovers is fitted with half a ton of white cow.

Soldato
It isn't a track car, it's a daily drive. I'm willing to compromise on the ride and tyre wear, but the noise increase with a stripped interior is considerable and I couldn't put up with it.
When I was at Oulton the other week, there were quite a few e36 Kumho cup race cars out there. It gave me great satisfaction being able to keep up with their pace in a full weight road car, even the M3s were not an awful lot faster.
I'll be losing some weight anyway, figured I couldn't keep on borrowing shoes bucket seat for ever and I always hated the standard seat so I treated myself to a Cobra Imola seat, almost 30kg lighter than the stock seat is a welcome bonus.

OcUK Staff
OP
It isn't a track car, it's a daily drive. I'm willing to compromise on the ride and tyre wear, but the noise increase with a stripped interior is considerable and I couldn't put up with it.
When I was at Oulton the other week, there were quite a few e36 Kumho cup race cars out there. It gave me great satisfaction being able to keep up with their pace in a full weight road car, even the M3s were not an awful lot faster.
I'll be losing some weight anyway, figured I couldn't keep on borrowing shoes bucket seat for ever and I always hated the standard seat so I treated myself to a Cobra Imola seat, almost 30kg lighter than the stock seat is a welcome bonus.

Last time I was at Donny there was an E36 M3, running 350ish BHP, weight was sub 1100kg and on slicks, plus he races it so knows what he's doing, he was absolutely flying, he was in garage with me and said he was doing circa 1:17 laps. :)

Soldato
I saw it on the video, looked stupid fast, not like any M3 I've seen before.

I plan on trying out slick tyres this year though, to see what happens.

Soldato
Shame this is a weekday or i'd have offered to come along and photograp you guys on track! Cant afford to lose a days pay im afraid!

Unless people were willing to give a small donation for my time, then I might be persuaded otherwise ;)

Soldato
Shame this is a weekday or i'd have offered to come along and photograp you guys on track! Cant afford to lose a days pay im afraid!

Unless people were willing to give a small donation for my time, then I might be persuaded otherwise ;)
Yeah I'm losing a days wages as well as I'm a contractor... however, you need to live life to the full :cool:

Back
Top Bottom