Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
It's usually a compressed nerve. The thing is it can be over tight shoes because your feet can swell when running. I would have a chat with your gp to rule out anything else though. Have you had your gait looked at?

Soldato
Yeah they will eventually blister, I've tried different socks including the fitted running ones and I'm still getting the same result. I think tape is the logical next step, as well as purchasing some better socks, however I was unsure of what the best would be, I'll give zinc oxide a go over the weekend. I want to get an 18 mile run done asap as that will put my mind at rest as to my ability to complete the London marathon in a couple of months

Soldato
No wind, stable running surface, no one else to slow you down by avoiding them or trying to pass them. What sort of difference in time are we talking?

Soldato
The Mrs secured a couple of one day passes for Nuffield gym yesterday, did another pain free 5k and a 20k / 40min bike and then 30mins swim (mini triathlon ;) ). All seems good but don't want to push the knee to far to soon. Physio has given me loads of quad/glutes excersises as I have knee cave at the end of my squat and this is where my problem lies.

It sucks being injured but I'm actually enjoying learning about and fixing my problems (if that makes sense). Just finished another 20k on the static bike.

Another small 5k tommorow I think.

Associate
No wind, stable running surface, no one else to slow you down by avoiding them or trying to pass them. What sort of difference in time are we talking?

Roughly 4m slower on park runs, over 5k.

In the gym, I hit it hard with headphones and hit around 28m.

In the park, I hit it as hard, with headphones (but pockets jangly with keys/oyster/phone) and hit around 32m.

Soldato
Treadmills do half the effort for you as you don't have to propel yourself forward or deal with hills i.e. you just lift your legs.

Try setting the treadmill to an incline of 5.

This as well.

I was just thinking to myself how when I'm running on a treadmill it's more the effort of just taking big strides and letting the treadmill do the work. It pulls your trailing leg back, all you need to do is bring it forward.

Man of Honour
Plus you don't get air resistance on a treadmill - I am training on one at the moment and always ramp up the incline and speed. Even then my heart rate is nowhere near as high as when I go for a run outside.

Soldato
Can't stand treadmill running. For me, the enjoyment of running comes from being outside in the fresh air. If I can't do that, I'm really not interested. Even in the snow, I'm out there in my XC shoes :)

Anyway, 16 mile training run today at a steady pace. Longest run since last Feb when my knee gave up on me and gave me 8 months of hell.

SO happy! :D

Permabanned
Can't stand treadmill running. For me, the enjoyment of running comes from being outside in the fresh air. If I can't do that, I'm really not interested. Even in the snow, I'm out there in my XC shoes :)

Anyway, 16 mile training run today at a steady pace. Longest run since last Feb when my knee gave up on me and gave me 8 months of hell.

SO happy! :D

same here, hate treadmills, it have to be a tornado outside for me to use one, XC shoes and snow FTW!

Soldato
Well another 5k run and 13k bike done without incident. That's two runs in 3 days and my 3rd painless 5k since Tuesday. I daren't consider that its turning a corner though. Every run fill me with the dread of relapse.

Back
Top Bottom