Macbook or Laptop?

Soldato
Do you like the Mac OS?
I mean have you used it before, if not you might want to go to a store and have a play to see if you get on with it.

Main advantage of a Macbook is the screen quality, I haven't seen any windows laptop come close (well apart from HP a few years ago but for some reason they only put it into one model and that was it).

Disadvantages are cost and not having full compatability but thats improving.

This thread will now probably descend into apple bashing but both sides have their own benefits.

For video editing either is fine, Macs used to be the default choice due to Final Cut Pro but a lot of professionals are now switching to alternatives due to the latest version being pretty damn unpopular.

Soldato
To run vegas on macbook you could use boot camp to dual boot or a virtual machine

I would just go with a laptop as you can get better spec anyway since apple like to overprice

Soldato
Owner and user of all three popular OS machines.

Macbook Pro - Video Editing. Uni systems use FCP 7 so I needed one for compatibility. I use it only for video editing. All photography editing is done on PC. Newest macbooks have a nice screen but literally 0 options for upgrades and no non-apple repair options. Fused lid = broken camera? replace the whole damn screen. I like web browsing on it, because that two finger flick page back is sweet.

Windows Laptop - Stills editing, gaming, watching movies (bluray drive), has grazy good GFX card in.

Ubuntu/Mint laptop - travelling. Some movies, ability to store photos, just fine for the necessities.

1k on a windows machine will go so, so much further than 1k in teh apple store.

Associate
I have a Windows PC and a MacBook Air that I take into uni, browse the web, do some light work (Word documents, little bit of Excel). I have some issues with OS X where it tries to make everything easier by hiding more stuff but it does have some uses. The Spaces thing (multiple desktops on one screen) is very useful, especially with the limited screen real estate. How useful that is really depends on how much work you plan on doing.

Oh, the trackpad gestures are pretty awesome too.

Associate
I have a Windows Desktop - And a Macbook Pro Retina with MacOSX / Windows 7 Bootcamp.

I like to have bits of software from both sides. I do have a tendency to sit in the Windows OS though....

Associate
I would definitely go for a Windows laptop. You get so much more power for your money and at the end of the day, apps like Photoshop, Premiere etc are available on both but will work better on the machine with the highest powered components.

Back
Top Bottom