Highest place you've been on

Man of Honour

More info please
Company, route, training, anything you would do different be it training/kit/company/route.

Route was good. Some bits were hard going, but overall, nice. Keep in mind - I don't have that much else to compare with. I used Lemosho for two reasons - the nice views; and the fact that it was one of the longer routes. Thought it best to take our time and reduce the risk of altitude sickness by spending more time adjusting to it.

Is Machame the coca cola route? (i.e. - easiest and most crowded)? If so, yes, I would avoid it. Lemosho wasn't terribly busy, but you still passed by a fair few people. Our own group was only 5 people + guide though. There was a second group with the same company as well and we followed quite similar paths since it was the same company, but still not all that much.

Training - I tried to do long treks in and around London but really didn't do as much as I should. probably a couple of months of it. You will be climbing for 4-7 hours at a time. It will be very slow moving (don't try and be macho and go fast. The guides tell you to go slow and whenever you pass by anyone, they basically tell you to go slow) but the altitude can make it a struggle. Frequent bouts of straight uphill.

Will post more later but if you have any questions based on this, feel free to ask.
Thanks, yes that's the route. That's made my mind up, as cool as it would be on New Year's Eve, I don't want that route. They do both Lemosho and Rongai in October though.

Soldato
I love the view from mountains but my fear of heights restricts me quite a lot. Hoping to overcome this and actually get on a plane again at some point too!

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I'm 6ft 5 but scared of heights. :eek: + :o = :p

I don't even like crossing bridges me, I have to distract myself whilst I cross them. :D

Highest I've been is a tower block, I'm Ok in them. :p

Soldato
More info please
Company, route, training, anything you would do different be it training/kit/company/route.

Thanks, yes that's the route. That's made my mind up, as cool as it would be on New Year's Eve, I don't want that route. They do both Lemosho and Rongai in October though.

Whoops, almost forgot to post back!

Thread with pics - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18061181

Good choice on avoiding the machame route :) It's also the route wher einstead of tents, you sleep in huts. If you're roughing it enough by climbing one of the 7 peaks, you shouldn't be sleeping in huts!

For what I would do different - train a little bit more. But as said, i'm pretty unfit so if you are reasonably fit, you will likely be fine. Just don't try to be too macho and go faster than the guides recommend.

Would also probably be a bit braver I guess. In the final push to the top, I went a bit too quickly in one spot which combined with my general fitness and altitude, meant that I fainted. This scared the hell out of me so I chose to go back down. In hindisght, I would probably have been ok if I had relaxed, caught my breath, and started again more slowly. I don't regret it (much) because my aim with the climb was to see some fantastic views, which I did.

Oh and in case you are getting insurance, make sure it covers the climb. Lot of insurance companies I saw didn't cover mountains above a certain height. After a bit of research, found one that did as long as professinal climbing equipment wasn't used.

Buy some stuff but most things, you will be able to rent (at least I was able to). Renting was at the hotel we were staying as the local tour company which the big ones outsource to are set up there. Hiking poles are an absolute must. Boots they recommend you buy yourself and break in.

Man of Honour

Thank you. Got halfway through the registration before being stumped by a couple of questions :( really wanted to book it today. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon on the queries. Decided to do the Rogani route. I'm not in the slightest bit fit, but hence the massive lead time. Can see me spending lots of days hiking around the Breacons training.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom