What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime

Oh, I quite agree, and I think there is a balance between obeying an authority figure and questioning what that authority figure is telling you... However, the Milgram Experiment clearly shows that not only will most people follow an authority figure regardless of the instruction, many will follow them far beyond what most would deem "common sense".

Soldato
I'm watching this movie - compliance - right now.
I know that most people on this forum would comply and do everything that an "alleged" police officer would tell them to do.
It's shocking how some people obey laws without questioning if they are valid or real.
Some people will go to extraordinary lengths to show compliance.

There was a thread on this forum regarding being questioned by the Police and general consensus was, to spill your guts, even if it lands you in (unfair) trouble over something that you didn't even do. The . I was astounded to see what I was reading.

Good film, so far, especially on a low budget.

Soldato
Paycheck

Terrible Philip K Dick adaptation. Not so much the acting, but just the sequences and scripting were appalling. Whilst time play films generally have holes, the good ones they have explanations for why it is possible for that hole to be there in theory by leaving a gap. This film doesn't, it plays off the idea of a domino effect, which it trips over and over.

The action sequences, **** me mr woo, what happened to you, take MI2, brilliant action film with great choreography, couple years later this tosh, where Ben Affleck knocking a guy over a 2 foot tall set of chairs, queue slow mo, it wasn't impressive enough to warrant 1 slow, but low and behold the camera cuts back to watch the guy finish his 'trip' in slow motion once again, sigh.

Utter ****. made Next look like a masterpiece.

2/10 purely because the original author's idea was good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shawshank Redemption - 3/10

Kinda boring, felt the acting was a little weak and it was too farfetched to accurately simulate prison life in the time period. Morgan Freemans commentary was very bland and didn't really add much to the film.

i joke, this is my favourite film

So glad I saw your comments at the end! I was agasp! :p

I watched John Q last night and I loved it. Was an amazing performance from Denzel Washington and I really felt a huge amount of empathy for him and his situation. I'd definitely recommend it.

Soldato
Oh, I quite agree, and I think there is a balance between obeying an authority figure and questioning what that authority figure is telling you... However, the Milgram Experiment clearly shows that not only will most people follow an authority figure regardless of the instruction, many will follow them far beyond what most would deem "common sense".

I on the most part will do what authority figures tell me to do, within reason. If a police officer asks me to do something I will do it. WITHIN REASON.

However, if someone calls a phone, says I stole something, when I know I didn't and tells me to perform sex acts on some randomer I think I'd draw the line.

I'd like to think anyone with a modicum of common sense would just say "I know I didn't steal anything, if you need to arrest me come and arrest me and we can sort it out at the station".

Even though I know it has happened in real life I just don't think my brain can comprehend the stupidity.

Associate
Battleship 2/10 .
lucky it was on sky , i would have been mighty miffed to pay for it (oh wait).

I dont know - Id probably rate it a 5-6 personally; least they had decent special effects etc ...

Some movies are just so bad I cant even finish watching them.

Associate
The insider - 7.5/10 Seen this a long time ago but watched it again; bit slow but if you consider this is based on a true story. And IMO a much better story then the impossible (bleh) - so what a kid is messed up and tried to mess with other people.

Here is a whole industry that has caused death and disease for years and people are still oblivious to the fact that you are causing cancer to yourself and others around you.

Caporegime
I on the most part will do what authority figures tell me to do, within reason. If a police officer asks me to do something I will do it. WITHIN REASON.

However, if someone calls a phone, says I stole something, when I know I didn't and tells me to perform sex acts on some randomer I think I'd draw the line.

I'd like to think anyone with a modicum of common sense would just say "I know I didn't steal anything, if you need to arrest me come and arrest me and we can sort it out at the station".

Even though I know it has happened in real life I just don't think my brain can comprehend the stupidity.

Not spoiler tagging my post as don't think I'm spoiling anything...

It's not stupidity per se... It's just the power of conditioning to obey authority figures without question. For me, the incredible part of the story is that they managed to pull it off over the phone. If it had been done in person by someone with a police uniform and fake badge or whatever then it would still be bizarre, but you'd think it a bit more reasonable, given they had a "cop" in their face. On the phone it's amazing, but it does show the power of authority. If you're interested in this, you should also read up on Zimbardo's prisoner/guard experiment, which was adapted into a German film called Das Experiment in 2001, which was further adapted into The Experiment in 2010, which is an English film, but which doesn't rate as well at imdb.

Soldato

It's not stupidity per se... It's just the power of conditioning to obey authority figures without question. For me, the incredible part of the story is that they managed to pull it off over the phone. If it had been done in person by someone with a police uniform and fake badge or whatever then it would still be bizarre, but you'd think it a bit more reasonable, given they had a "cop" in their face. On the phone it's amazing, but it does show the power of authority. If you're interested in this, you should also read up on Zimbardo's prisoner/guard experiment, which was adapted into a German film called Das Experiment in 2001, which was further adapted into The Experiment in 2010, which is an English film, but which doesn't rate as well at imdb.

It sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks! :)

Thug
Soldato

the 2010 film is RUBBISH.

Would give it a miss.

Zimbardos/Milgrams experiements were fascinating things.

Soldato
I saw Compliance.

Poor execution (needed some balls to the wall acting performances to pull it off). But good (true) story.

7/10.

What is interesting is the back story which is associated with the movie.
It turns out the guy who raped the girl went to prison, however, the supervisor, got a US$1M payout from McD's (crazy)! The guy on the phone, got off scott-free - his case did go to Court.

I'd advise the older generation to certainly watch this as it's probably the most discussion worthy movie I've seen in the last 10 years. Young teenagers are unlikely to find the movie offensive.

I'd say that this is the sort of movie which psychology students may be asked to watch as part of their course.

Even though I don't have a daughter, I found the movie very provocative. I do feel that they should've shown the spanking and sex, in order to hit the message harder. Without the spanking and rape, the movie didn't hit as hard as say 'The Accused'.

The real life version of this movie, was more brutal and the abuse lasted for hours.
The girl who was raped got around US$6M in compensation. And too right!

All I can say is that some people trust (alleged) Police officers, far too much and seem to forget that they are just human beings, just like the rest of us. I wouldn't trust any voice down the end of a phone, least of all a Police Officer (no offence to PO's - I'm sure there plenty of honest PO's around, but IME, I have no trust in POs).

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Towerblock.

It was Chavtastic. :p
Some great sniping in it as well & a mention of BF3 from a little gamer who clues everybody up on what weapon the sniper is using. Some good shock violence in it as well.
I didn't think it'd be up to much but for a Wednesday night movie it was great. :cool:

Caporegime
I saw Compliance.

Poor execution (needed some balls to the wall acting performances to pull it off). But good (true) story.

7/10.

What is interesting is the back story which is associated with the movie.
It turns out the guy who raped the girl went to prison, however, the supervisor, got a US$1M payout from McD's (crazy)! The guy on the phone, got off scott-free - his case did go to Court.

I'd advise the older generation to certainly watch this as it's probably the most discussion worthy movie I've seen in the last 10 years. Young teenagers are unlikely to find the movie offensive.

I'd say that this is the sort of movie which psychology students may be asked to watch as part of their course.

Even though I don't have a daughter, I found the movie very provocative. I do feel that they should've shown the spanking and sex, in order to hit the message harder. Without the spanking and rape, the movie didn't hit as hard as say 'The Accused'.

The real life version of this movie, was more brutal and the abuse lasted for hours.
The girl who was raped got around US$6M in compensation. And too right!

All I can say is that some people trust (alleged) Police officers, far too much and seem to forget that they are just human beings, just like the rest of us. I wouldn't trust any voice down the end of a phone, least of all a Police Officer (no offence to PO's - I'm sure there plenty of honest PO's around, but IME, I have no trust in POs).

To me it look as though they shot it but cut that bit out, after he asked her to jump, it cuts to the manager and cuts back and she sits down again with the apron looking all embarrassed and he pretends he has done nothing.

Back
Top Bottom