Are pancakes bad for you?

Soldato
So they're made with refined white flour and pasteurised/homogenised skimmed milk? If so it's just a load of processed garbage. The eggs are good though. Buy more eggs, some decent butter and make omelettes instead.

Soldato
They're not the worst things you could eat, but not too great either.

Swap processed white flour for proper organic wholegrain and replace the milk with buttermilk (contrary to the name it's not made with butter) it's a lot healthier than standard milk, contains more vitamins, less fat and is digested quicker and easier.

Try using proper free range eggs too, cheap eggs aren't great.

Buttermilk will also give the pancakes a better texture IMO, so it's win win.

3 simple replacements and you will have super healthy pancakes that taste great and make you feel great.

Associate
They arnt bad for you, but exactly good either. Like said above if your using a lot of butter/oil in the pan then that makes them a lot worse.

Associate
I cannot eat proper pancakes as I'm allergic to egg, so I substitute a bit of baking power for egg, and they turn out not to bad at all.

if I could, I would eat them for every breakfast, but Im too lazy to make them every day, so stick to once a year lol

Soldato
Runners World magazine published an article for pancake day with various different tips/suggestions for healthy pancakes. I could post a pic of the article if it's not against forum rules?

Soldato
The American version is a little worse for you :p.

American fluffy pancakes:

135g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp caster sugar
130ml milk
1 large egg
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Make a pile of them with maple syrup in between each layer :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
They're not the worst things you could eat, but not too great either.

Swap processed white flour for proper organic wholegrain and replace the milk with buttermilk (contrary to the name it's not made with butter) it's a lot healthier than standard milk, contains more vitamins, less fat and is digested quicker and easier.

Try using proper free range eggs too, cheap eggs aren't great.

Buttermilk will also give the pancakes a better texture IMO, so it's win win.

3 simple replacements and you will have super healthy pancakes that taste great and make you feel great.

I saw a fabulous baker brothers episode on tv a while back where they made butter from just whipping cream and the leftover liquid (after the butter was taken out) was buttermilk. Looked really quick and easy.

I'd rather not eat eggs than buy caged or "free range" ones; you have to be so careful to read the label and see what they class free range as. I like to get to the local farm shops to buy when I can but do have to buy from supermarkets at times.

Back
Top Bottom