What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
the Hobbit

Was expecting this to be pretty dire to be honest but it was pretty good actually. Very slow in places and the missus kept on pointing out that 'this isnt in the book' every 5 mins. Special effects in places were also pretty ropey, dont even get me started on the bloody feet.

Fun all the same. 7 -10

Commissario
Planet Terror 7/10

Thoroughly enjoyable, very silly, over the top and fun :)
It did actually feel rather like an old B movie horror, which was what it set out to be, the "worn film" effect felt a bit of a gimmick at first, but then I largely stopped consciously noticing it, except for things like the bit where it skips and you get the placeholder about "management are sorry" and the end credits.

Death Proof is probably next.

Soldato
To me it look as though they shot it but cut that bit out, after he asked her to jump, it cuts to the manager and cuts back and she sits down again with the apron looking all embarrassed and he pretends he has done nothing.

I think they didnt want the movie to be too hardcore, to perhaps get a softer rating/classification.
What happened in real life was far more hardcore.

I think the store manager knew what was going on - but for whatever reason didn't think to stop it.

Here's a synopsis of the real/true version.

This movie probably isn't for any father who has a young daughter working in a fast food restaurant.

Soldato
The Revenant. 7/10. Featured an interesting use for a *****(thing which women use that requires batteries).

Dracula III. 7/10. Rutger Hauer hamming it up as Dracula, and a vampire on stiltts, whats not to like.

Caporegime
This movie probably isn't for any father who has a young daughter working in a fast food restaurant.

Why? What do you think the odds of this happening to any given young woman are? And why limit it to just fast food restaurants? Never mind that this happened in America and has stopped since they caught the guy...

Caporegime
I think they didnt want the movie to be too hardcore, to perhaps get a softer rating/classification.
What happened in real life was far more hardcore.

I think the store manager knew what was going on - but for whatever reason didn't think to stop it.

Here's a synopsis of the real/true version.

Absolutely disgusting.

And where was the common sense!?

Thug
Soldato
Watched Total Recall (1990) for the first time.

A strange film with an odd direction. Its got Arnold in it, so was expecting very little. Apart from a few inconsistencies and the obvious dating, it was actually surprisingly good.

6.5/10

Caporegime
Wow did I not like The Hobbit.

I've gone off the LOTR films a bit over time(like down from 9/10 to 7/10), rewatching them and realising how irritating some bits are, but the Hobbit felt cheap, not impressed with the cast, the CGI is almost always awful, the story has been mangled and all the action sequences are pretty terrible.

The overly kiddy/stupid feel to so much of it, and the god awful music, it was rather bland and boring in the first film, then it was in three films and now its like "oh, its that piece of music, I now know EXACTLY what is about to happen", the kinda upbeat one, another inspiring tale about the spirit of hobbits or mankind is about to commence, etc, etc. The music is so predictable it gives away whats about to happen, its just plainly completely lazy to reuse every piece of music. For a huge film as a follow up trilogy(ridiculous in and of itself) to a huge trilogy, do we need the same 3 pieces of music repeated over and over after being subjected to that for not far off 9 hours across the previous trilogy, couldn't come up with some new music and better scoring which involves not repeating 3 different short pieces over and over again, happy scene, dangerous scene, triumphant win scene..... it was painfully lazy.

To me the Hobbit came across as a very cheap, poorly put together cash in movie(even if it wasn't cheap, I don't have a clue). The decade old quality greenscreen all over the place, but most of all, it was the woefully poorly written action sequences.

Thorin was wooden and rubbish, Freeman was decent enough. Just overall very disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom