Need a new tiny machine on a budget - advice

Associate
Hi all,

i need to make a new machine and don't want to break the bank. Could use some advice as i've been out of the game for a while!

I just need the base unit, I have all the other peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitors etc). I want something as tiny as possible, 10"x10"x4". Obviously that's not possible, but whatever I can get around that size would be brilliant.

This is a work machine, but I'd want to be able to play games. I have 2 Dell 2410u screens that i'd want to power (possibly a 3rd at some point).

I'm running a lot of Virtual Machines and do intensive development work, so 8-16gb memory is what im after, plus multi core (4) CPU is important.

I'm after something that is quite, decent and will last. Passive cool = win! Don't need top of the line and certainly will not be overclocking.

I need help picking a case, MB, CPU, memory and gfx card.

Assuming 500 quid, what are my options?

Thanks!
TM

Soldato
Thanks man,

assuming I go with something like this Lian LI, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-553-LL&groupid=2362&catid=2279&subcat=

What sort of hardware can I get in there?

Are motherboards being equipped with Thunderbolt interfaces??

Cheers
TM

Looks nice. PSU supplied is only 300W and isn't the standard size. Going tiny isn't cheap

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £199.99
1 x Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Mini ITX Motherboard £94.99
1 x Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" Generation 3 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel kit (PV316G160C9K) £59.99
1 x BeQuiet Pure Power L8 430W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular Power Supply - With 120mm Silent Wing Fan Built in £54.95
1 x Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced Mini-ITX Case - Black £39.98
Total : £449.90 (includes shipping : FREE).

I wouldn't pay £200 for an i5K but you get the idea. Mobo has all the good stuff like sataIII, USB3, wifi inc...... good 3 year warranty and dual BIOS too. It's voltage locked so not really an overclockers Z77 mobo but you could easily round the CPU off at ~4GHz if you wanted.

Modular PSU will be very handy in a cramped case. This case can take ATX sized PSUs and decent sized GPUs.....the Bitfenix Prodigy might be worth a look too

No GPU but I'd probably look for a 2nd hand 1GB 460 (~£50), I still have one it's still gaming capable and adds CUDA support, AMDs 6850 is an option for a similar price 2nd hand. New GPUs like the 7750 and 7770 lose to these "old GPUs" and I don't think they are good value for the RRP.

Someone might suggest doing an AMD Trinity setup as the APU is gaming capable to a degree but the A8/10K is really on par with the intel i3 not an i5 grunt wise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Silverstone Sugo SG05-450 is the case you want. The 450W PSU is a cracking unit and will drive pretty much any of the newer graphics cards on the market (extreme bods have been running GTX 680s off it fine).

If you're not running a dedicated graphics card, or one that runs purely of PCI-E power (such as a Radeon 7750), you can save some cash and get the standard SG05 with 300W PSU.

Associate
I went with Cm elite 120 case
i5 cpu which im not sure with

3470s or 3570k due to deciding if i should use a graphics card or not .. like a gtx evaga 650 or leave it to the gpu on the cpu i need to play 1080p videos found that 2500 hd not great so went for 3570 hmm.. still unsure.

with the noctua L9i cpu cooler, not sure if i should also keep the or use intel stock one!!??

Hyper X grey 8gb nice other main based retail sites and cheap at a..n and others

be quiet psu 630w same place cheaper just in case i need that juice later on at the price worth it in case you ever needed more power.

still deciding which cpu and if i should use a gfx card or not or use built in one.
may not game but for video editing etc hmm extra power good

the gigabyte z77n cheap and does the job.

anyone done a build similar any pics?

Kindly show your pic of what you eventually built mate be nice to see.

Last edited:
Associate
i5 cpu which im not sure with

3470s or 3570k due to deciding if i should use a graphics card or not like a gtx evaga 650 or leave it to the gpu on the cpu i need to play 1080p videos found that 2500 hd not great so went for 3570 hmm.. still unsure.
I would go for the 3570K with HD 4000 onboard graphics which will handle 1080p videos

with the noctua L9i cpu cooler, not sure if i should also keep the or use intel stock one!!??
If you're planning to overclock the CPU, then use the Noctua CPU cooler as the Intel stock cooler isn't good for overclocking

Associate
may not really overclock but its good for future when need be. I am unsure how the stock normal temps are at load compared to the low profile coolers.

thanks yeh i went with 3570k then , need to complete it in the morning, unsure if i should use the gtx 650 will it benfit me for video at photoshop stuff..

Back
Top Bottom