The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADL

ADL

Associate
This thread has cost me a fortune since Christmas and it looks like I'm going to be spending even more!

I bought a Merkur 34C HD to begin with and after trying nearly every blade (learning the hard way!), I have settled on Feathers which I've just about got the hang of now. However, I'm told that this razor is quite "mild" so I'm now wondering if it's worth graduating to a better razor.

Each review I've read has contradicted the preceding one so I've no idea where to start really. What would people recommend?

Soldato
ergh. just went to put some stuff back in my shave bag, and completely sliced my thumb open pretty deep -_- other than aluminium sulphate stick any suggestions?

Associate
I suspect for that to work I'd have to clean it after every shave, but that would conflict with me using each blade for two shaves* - I don't think trying to properly clean the razor with the blade still in would be a good idea.

Ideally I'd leave it in a solution (but what?) overnight every week or two.

*I'm still working my way through the blade selection I got so am sticking with two shaves per blade at least for now. I've decided I don't like the Derbys. Astra, Treet and Shark all seem to be about the same as far as I can tell - they're in equal second place to Gillette and Wilkinson which are in equal first place. So far.

Commissario
I now clean mine after each blade change, take the blade out, rinse the razor under warm water and just give it a quick rub over with an old nailbrush. It cleans it perfectly.

Tauren, if it's that deep then it might need stitching. Go see your doctor!

Caporegime
There's no need to clean your blades as they will last less than 3 or 4 days and there's no requirement to clean your razor either unless it ticks a box which makes you more comfortable for having a 'clean' solution. IMHO it is a waste of time unless it is blocking your shave from being immense or it looks mucky.

If you go to the B&B forum then there is fairly definitive piece which essentially says don't waste your time; concentrate on your technique.

Associate
Is this really a discussion on whether you should be cleaning your razor or not?

/rubs eyes

It is a pretty common thing on shaving forums. I'm far to lazy to clean mine all the time. It gets run under the tap every shave. A quick clean when changing blade and a really good clean if it is minging.

Associate
I clean my 34C after each blade change. Take it apart. Spray Orange topped Cilit Bang on it. Rub the razor in the affected areas for about 10 seconds. Rinse off with water. Insert the new blade. Looks as good as new.

Associate
Had my second shave with a feather blade today. As with the first it's easily the best blade for me. I still have samples I haven't touched yet but this blade cuts hair with little irritation. The only issue I had with the first was it only lasted two shaves. They are already expensive blades. The Gillette 7 O'Clock are pretty decent and the blade I tried for a second time just before this feather. The feather though is clearly sharper and gives me a less irritable shave which for me is the most important factor.
I think I am ready to buy a 100 pack but don't know if I should pay the £25 Shaving-Shack are asking for or £20 to get it from some random Thailand eBayer as posted on page 92. It's worrying to see the seller is apparently in the US but the item is in Bangkok. Not forgetting another £3 devliery from Shaving-Shack. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom