****The Official Samsung Galaxy S II Thread***

Associate
Anyone bothered putting AOSP/AOKP 4.2.2 on?

Haven't got access to a PC for a while but wondering if it was worth me tracking one down.

I ran AOKP for a while (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1850942) 4.2.2

Also SuperNexus AOSP (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2076650) 4.2.2

But I've ended up back with slim bean (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2060541) 4.2.2

I think I'll stay with slim bean, it's good balance between AOSP and AOKP.

Soldato
I read somewhere it's delayed until April now, I decided to go custom after the last delay in Feb. Glad I did now :)

source: http://www.pc-tablet.com/19420-sams...roid-jelly-bean-41-update-delayed-april-2013/

It's not very clear, but I think that article is about the Telus handsets only. Lots of countries have already had 4.1 for the S2 so I can't see any reason for an extended delay again.

It is turning into a bit of a joke though. I was hoping my Mum's S2 would update before she leaves for Australia so I can make sure it works okay, at this rate I might have to just do it manually.

Associate
I'll never understand why people moan about Samsung/networks not releasing updates in their region/network when they're already released somewhere else :(.

Because they don't want to risk trashing their phone by flashing it via other means? There's a massive amount to learn if you're new to it.

There are plenty of reason why people want to stick to the official releases, so many so I'm not quite if you're being sarcastic or have made a grammatical error! :p

Associate
You're not going to trash your phone flashing with Odin, you're probably less likely to have problems with Odin than you are Kies.

But how many "normal" people know about Odin? I don't want to be messing around with a 3rd party application to install an update from another region. I should not have to do that at all, as a process it should just work.

Soldato
"Normal" people don't even know about Jelly Bean, anyone on this forum is intelligent enough to download a ROM and Odin, put the phone in download mode, connect it, close kies.exe in task manager if it's open, open Odin then click PDA and choose the ROM and press start.

If people don't want to use Odin that's fine, but complaining about it when Samsung have gave us everything we need to update safely and easily is just pointless imo :).

Edit: I'll add this back in since I was right the first time. Odin was made by Samsung :).

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey mate - is it ok to flash a JB custom ROM via an old version of CWM? Or do I need an upto date custom recovery first?

Can you link a nice stable JB Custom ROM? Has JB Domination been updated to work with it? :)

As far as I know you can still update with a old cwm, try. Neat rom I've had no issues with it at all

Soldato
"Normal" people don't even know about Jelly Bean, anyone on this forum is intelligent enough to download a ROM and Odin, put the phone in download mode, connect it, close kies.exe in task manager if it's open, open Odin then click PDA and choose the ROM and press start.

If people don't want to use Odin that's fine, but complaining about it when Samsung have gave us everything we need to update safely and easily is just pointless imo :).

I'd much rather my Mum's phone was using the software designed for it, that's all, especially because I a) don't want to get the blame if/when it goes wrong, and b) I won't be around to fix it. Already had this problem with her Galaxy Tab, flashed the UK version of ICS on it (it was bought in Canada) and it caused all sorts of annoying problems.

For the sake of clarity though: Would updating it with another region's 4.1 ROM via Odin wipe the phone? Because obviously the benefit of Kies is that it keeps everything intact.

Edit: Just noticed Vodafone UK's JB ROM is out, so hopefully the others will follow soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom