Cape Town / Simons Town

Caporegime
I'm off to Cape Town for two days next month and have one night I need to book a hotel for (flying in sat morning and meeting up at another hotel on Sunday evening for a trip).

Now obviously there is Table Mountain in Cape Town itself but I'm thinking of getting the train down to Simons Town for the night and spending Saturday and Sunday morning around the area. Anyone been and stayed there? It's nearer the cape, although getting there may be a challenge without a car... But I assume there should be some nice walking for a day and its near the penguin colony. It's out of season for whale watching but are there shark things that time of year? Worth it? Anything else recommended (accessible without a car).

Thanks

Caporegime
OP
Do either of you have any recent experience of Cape Town and Simons town? I only ask as the train journey has been recommended by some sites as a must do! I have heard a lot of SAME is dodgy though and not to take the buses (although I will from the airport to Cape Town...

Soldato
Recent experience doesn't really matter. Krooton is from Cape Town if I remember correctly. I am from Durban but spent a lot of time in the Cape and nothing ever changed in terms of transport or the need for a car. I will (as well as any South African I will imagine) second all sentiments already raised above.

Caporegime
OP
In which case why do people go on holiday there? by the sound of it I may as well have booked a flight for the next day, sheltered in my Cape Town hotel until I ran out of South Africa the next day...! :p

The only reason I ask about recent experience is its supposed to have changed a lot in the last year or two, which is why I'm looking for tourists with recent experience. I do appreciate the input though, at least it's better than other recent threads where if you're not going to Cyprus, Paris or the east coast of OZ it doesn't exist. :p

Caporegime
In which case why do people go on holiday there? by the sound of it I may as well have booked a flight for the next day, sheltered in my Cape Town hotel until I ran out of South Africa the next day...! :p

The only reason I ask about recent experience is its supposed to have changed a lot in the last year or two, which is why I'm looking for tourists with recent experience. I do appreciate the input though, at least it's better than other recent threads where if you're not going to Cyprus, Paris or the east coast of OZ it doesn't exist. :p

Because people who holiday there rent cars and stay for a bit longer. ;)

Last time I was there was 2011, lived there for 19 years though, and even back then catching a train wasn't the greatest of ideas.

Associate
My friends live in Fishhoek (One stop before Simons Town on the train). He catches the train to work all the time, go in Metro plus and don't go too late at night. It doesn't go fast but it is nice when it goes along the sea. I have got the train a few times when I have been there as well. I did stay in Muizenberg backpackers once but for one night it would be better to stay nearer the Penguins. Look on the map maybe Glencairn would be nice but not pricey like Simons Town.

Caporegime
OP
Because people who holiday there rent cars and stay for a bit longer. ;)

Last time I was there was 2011, lived there for 19 years though, and even back then catching a train wasn't the greatest of ideas.

But even then I'm not sure what people do because everything seems to involve the prospect of being mugged... ;)

But no, I'm in the slightly awkward situation of having a spare day to wonder round before I meet up with a group and head north, and I'm not a fan of the usual tourist trails.

My friends live in Fishhook (One stop before Simons Town on the train). He catches the train to work all the time, go in Metro plus and don't go too late at night. It doesn't go fast but it is nice when it goes along the sea. I have got the train a few times when I have been there as well. I did stay in Muizenberg backpackers once but for one night it would be better to stay nearer the Penguins. Look on the map maybe Glencairn would be nice but not pricey like Simons Town.

Sounds good. I've just seen a shark diving/ watching trip in simonstown which looks interesting. Anyone know if the central station (where the bus from the airport terminates) has lockers for bag storage?

Back
Top Bottom