Looking to get into the MOBA games...

Soldato
So, I would like to try these moba games that seem to be all the rage, I used to play the original DotA and I was meh. Had no idea what I was doing so was a flukey so and so.

I have seen that there are quite a few of these games now with the biggest being HoN, LoL and DotA2.

If I am a complete nublet, which is easiest to start with or the most friendly to new guys? I don't think I'd ever play competitive either, do don't know if that makes any difference?

Associate
well dota 2 is terrible so I would advise against it, HoN is also too competitive so you would have a hard time starting up.

LoL is probably the most user-friendly and has the easiest learning curve of the 3.

Did I mention Dota 2 is terrible? In every possible way. But it's one of those love/hate games so you could give it a try for yourself.

Soldato
OP
well dota 2 is terrible so I would advise against it, HoN is also too competitive so you would have a hard time starting up.

LoL is probably the most user-friendly and has the easiest learning curve of the 3.

Did I mention Dota 2 is terrible? In every possible way. But it's one of those love/hate games so you could give it a try for yourself.

I have DotA 2, tried it and was like WTF? And went back to Football Manager as I was slightly sleepy or drunk...

I'll grab that LoL, but watching Total Halibut on youtube doing a wtf is LoL is making it look...complex...

Soldato
I want to start one of these games to as I've never played on before but the learning curve seems crazy. I did actually start to download LoL but I'm worried I wouldn't know where to start.

Caporegime
Well I'd avoid HoN at this stage, simply due to very little reason to play it now, I'd imagine it will die eventually.

Dota2 just had a big update for its tutorial mode and will continue to add more each week to tell players. (Sort of like a single player story thing to help you learn it would seem)

Also the first post in the dota2 thread on here has a large amount of info on where to start.

Associate
Try LoL, there are many guides that can help you improve/ start with. You can also ask people in the LoL thread for advice, many friendly people there. :)

Soldato
Massive Online Bell Attractors. :D

As for a MOBA to start with, Dota 2 is the simplest but you could try Awesomenoughts as it has vastly different gameplay, and is more skill based rather than just based on the players knowledge of the game.

Permabanned
DotA2 > LoL

They're both full of stupid russians telling you that you suck every 5 minutes.

DotA2 is better though.

Caporegime
I hated dota2 as well and much prefer LOL

I prefer the pacing of league of legends and it's much easier to get into

Associate
Another recommendation for LoL here, been getting into it myself over the past two months and think I've gained a pretty good knowledge of current meta and tactics, great game with good pacing.

Admittedly I haven't played Dota2 but after playing some HoN (which had a really high curve and I couldn't get into) and just looking at all three, I opted for LoL. Do not regret it!

Soldato
The problem with LoL is you only get Rotation heroes, so if it's something you don't like, you're buggered, so you'll have to buy a few heroes that you will be able to practise on.

Dota 2 is one of the best games I've played recently once you learn how to play it.

Watch some youtube videos from Purge, do the new Tutorials. I'm loving it.

Associate
Start with HoN, someone above me said it's going to die, that's just wrong. If somehow it does eventually it does die you can just move to dota2 as it's much more similar than LoL. LoL is just plain awful.

Soldato
Wouldn't play HoN at all, just stay away from that imo.

LoL is ok, kinda fun but found it too boring and casual.

Dota 2 is the best out of those 3 imo, tutorial just got released too so easier to get into now.

Associate
Dota2 or nothing, play a few all not matches then move into coop games before even thinking about competitive games. Read plenty of guides.

Permabanned
Only 1 mode worth playing on DOTA 2 the one where you pick to ban certain heroes for that game. Otherwise you just end up with a team like Drow, Riki, Skelly King, Bounty Hunter and Huskar. The game just isn't balanced at all and they keep adding heroes which just makes it worse.

Caporegime
Only 1 mode worth playing on DOTA 2 the one where you pick to ban certain heroes for that game. Otherwise you just end up with a team like Drow, Riki, Skelly King, Bounty Hunter and Huskar. The game just isn't balanced at all and they keep adding heroes which just makes it worse.

Well if you face a team like that and don't counter it with early game pressure win then that is yours and your teams fault.

Back
Top Bottom