Straneg Problem with overclocked bundle

Associate
Hello,

I just got my z77 pro bundle (3770k 16gb ram asus p9z77-v) I attached cooler and put in case, connected enermax 850w psu cpu power and mainboard power and 128gb crucal m4 ssd and installed windows no problem

after I downloaded all the updated drivers from asus website, installed them all, rebooted but the machine wouldn't boot, just got red lights for memory and cpu.

I hit the reset on the cmos to try and clear the error, nothing, so I pulled the memory and reseated one stick. i got post. so I shut down again and reinstalled the 2nd stick, and post again (lost the ocuk overclock in saved profiles too :( - but no problem I thought) can sort that out later.

Now my machine is making a weird clicking noise - almost like a hdd. on idle it's roughly a 1 second tick tick noise, until you open a window or move the mouse over an icon and it ticks and clicks and even makes a noise similar to the loading noise an a zx speccy! never heard anything like this before in my life.. seems ok on post, until the windows (7) loading animation disappears, then it kicks off with this ticking noise... going to reboot and confirm this, if you don't hear from me again it's as described in post. (i'll be doing another windows install in the meantime)

Ok so first thoughts is a bad driver, i'll have to to do a full reinstall again I assume, but anyone got any ideas? I'll give the tech support a call tomorrow..

HELP!

Associate
OP
update

ok so I just did a fresh install...

I did each driver one at a time, chipset, network card, then the intel graphics.. that was the problem, as soon as I installed and rebooted same problem, did a system restore and it's gone again... for reference it's this driver Intel_Graphics_V815102712_Win7 direct for asus website. is there a hardware problem with my machine?

Associate
OP
under load from what? a windows desktop and a moving mouse? I installed a hd5770 today out of my old system, seems to running ok(ish) now, still getting squeal but rarely and just for maybe half a second, i'd call that a hint of squeal :rolleyes:

new psu coming tomorrow so lets see....

Associate
OP
So I bought another PSU, which turn out to be a waste of money because even after connecting it up, it looks like its the motherboard, it cannot be anything else.

Overclockers customer service has been spot on though so far, so hats off to tech support. I've had to RMA the entire bundle though, which is a pain.

Turns out that it's a problem with some motherboards when HD4000 driver is installed it can cause this capacitor noise - it's more like a screech, wine, clicking noise. It'd like to hear from anyone with the Asus P8Z77-V mobo though if they've had issues, I'm assuming bad luck.

on a postive, the new CPU is considerably quieter than my HTPC PSU - So it'll go in there.

These things happen.

Associate
OP
RMA'd it and OcUK did a great job turning it around, hats off to them. New board installed and done some tests, although there was a tiny bit of noise when only resizing windows at the start, it seems to have gone away now.

Infuriatingly now when I installed a graphics card, I Windows will freeze on the splash screen at start up, I have to uninstall the HD4000 driver to get back into windows.

I read up a little yesterday on a Intel forum post from a guy with the le(?) version of this motherboard having exactly the same issue with the os freeze. Then someone else chimed in on the same post saying he was having issues. I reckon there is a problem with these mobos... i'm considering ringing up and asking OcUK to swap me out a different board, maybe a gigabyte or pay a bit more and get the asus sabretooth z77... would this be possible you think?

Associate
If you're having issues, I would certainly RMA it again. I only ever buy from OcUK for their customer service and I imagine paying extra for a different board would be fine. Best to give them a call.

Associate
I bought the 2500k overclocked bundle recently. Mine came with an Asus P8Z77-V LX2 board.

I added a HIS 7850 and it ran perfectly. Super fast. I overlocked the GPU and was crushing Skyrim with texture mods. It's a great system.

Also, because I took my time choosing a monitor to go with it, I can strongly recommend the Asus VN247H. It's not top of the line obviously, there's way more expensive screens, but I think it produces a very solid picture and it's really well designed.

Anyway, I had to RMA the computer for the same reason as you. Some kind of high pitch electrical screech that was driving me nuts. If I were a few years older I might not even be able to hear it, but I'm not and I cant sit next to that noise for however many years I'll be using the PC.

I researched and tried to fix it myself by playing around with power saving features in the BIOS, which worked for some, but I couldn't stop it. It seems to be a problem on current and some older Asus boards.

I'm glad your noise is gone, even if it's still a bit buggy.

I hope they do the same for mine. To be honest I'm wondering if they'll use a different brand altogether because of all these complaints. I know it's a tiny minority really, but still enough to put me off Asus for the moment. I say for the moment because the PC I built 4 years ago used an Asus board and I never had a problem with it. Still works fine.

I would like to stress, once again, that besides the noise the computer was great! Ran fast and cool and very neat cables. So cheers for that whoever put it together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom