iPhone (5) and dropbox?

Caporegime
Just picked up my iPhone 5, and am migrating from my HTC One X, but am finding dropbox behaviour is a tad odd to say the least. In fact, album (photo album) behaviour is odd full stop.

First off, is there no way of having "other" albums in the "photos" app? In the default gallery of all my other devices (Android & WinPho), the default photos (or gallery in the case of Android) app has an album for the Phone, Dropbox, Picasa, Flickr, Skydrive, Facebook, etc. This makes viewing photos (for example to email on, or MMS) a breeze, as they are in one central location, accessible from all the connectivity applications. This omission (unless I'm missing something obvious here) seems a bit bizarre on Apple's behalf, seeing as how they want to be social media focussed :confused:

Secondly, with Dropbox (because of the above problem), to manipulate most photos with most apps, I'd have to download them using the Dropbox app first, then attach/edit/crop/etc with whatever app I was originally intending. Fine, it's a bit more long winded, but it's "passable" I suppose. However, the second I download something from Dropbox, the phone saves it to "Camera Roll" (why? I didn't take it with the camera!), which then consequently gets uploaded to dropbox. So I end up duplicating (twice, once to the phone, and two copies now in Dropbox) any photo that I want to use? That seems like shocking behaviour. Is there nothing I can do about this?

I have to say, if I can't find a solution for the latter then this iPhone is going back where it came from :(

Associate
1) You can't

2) You can create "Albums" in the iOS app and I think can move items from the Camera Roll to them which might help. Give it a try.

You'll quickly realise with iOS that the apps all work well and are intuitive to use, but any sort of customisation just isn't possible.

Associate
Just a quick pointer... in the Photos App, Albums are just references to the photos in the Camera Roll... i.e. they are not MOVED to an album, just TAGGED in that album.

Basically, I "moved" some photos from my Camera Roll to a new Album, then deleted them from the Camera Roll... which deletes them from any album to which they have been added!

So, you can organise by Albums, but ALL the photos will exist in the Camera Roll!

Back
Top Bottom