iMac decision

Associate
Hi all I'm new to the forum so please be gentle to me.

I'm looking at buying a 27" 2.9ghz iMac but have to decide on a couple of things and hope you can help.
The first one is the price. I can buy one from the Apple store for £1408.80 as I will get a student discount or pay £1499.00 from John Lewis but they offer a 2 year guarantee. So do I save £90 or get the 2 year guarantee.

The next one is about the SuperDrive. Is it worth buying or are there better non Apple products that will do the job and are less than £65.

And finally Apples One to One service. I am tempted by it for £79 but has anyone bought it and if so what are your views on it.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Caporegime
As you are a student, get it online from apple and get 3 years apple care for free and HE discount.

A £20 external DVD writer will do the same thing, apple one is nice because its metal construction, slot loading and need only 1 USB port.

The 1 upgrade I would do is get the 1Tb Fusion drive. Save money from the super drive for that. Don't get RAM from Apple, get these yourself.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply buy I can't see anywhere online where I get 3 years apple care for free. I did consider the fusion drive but does it really add that much to the mac?

Any views on the one to one service?

Soldato
Add one to basket, go to configure, scroll down to Service & Support and click 'Learn more'

Image%202013.02.22%2016:51:05.png

Soldato
Never used it so no personal experience. Ask yourself the following then you'll probably know whether it's something you might find worthwhile or not.

How computer literate are you?
Is it your first Mac?
Do you regularly have to ask people for help?
Do you have an Apple store nearby & Would you enjoy visiting it regularly for group workshops about how to use apps?

Associate
Student as in college you dont get extra AppleCare .... So John Lewis

Student as in uni you do you either.... use the email address from the uni.... or supply a pic of your uni card thru email ... That's then buy from apple

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for the input. I bought my mac on Monday from the Trafford Centre store and now need to learn how to make the most of it.
I will no doubt be on here asking "silly" questions so please be nice to me : )

Associate
OP
Just to let you know you don't get the free 3 year warranty as you bought it in store.

I didn't get it free but they did me a discount so I only paid £34 for it. I could have ordered online but the wait was 2 to 3 weeks and it also meant waiting in at home on delivery day.
I'm please with my purchase now can anyone recommend an alternative to the SuperDrive?

Back
Top Bottom