Recommend a premium Windows laptop?

Soldato
Hi guys,

I've been looking at replacing my aging Dell XPS for a while and am struggling to find a decent spec laptop with good build quality for around the £1k mark that beats anything from Apple.

I have a good desktop machine but it's in the lounge and I usually sneak off to the spare room to study so the laptop comes in handy.

I would prefer to stick to Windows but as a mature student I have access to the Apple education store so can pick up a 13", 2.5 Ghz Retina display MacBook Pro for £1074 (rather than £1249).

All I'm looking for is a laptop which isn't too heavy (won't carry it about much), with a great screen and good keyboard for my studies. The better spec I can get the happier I'll be but I'll be using it for work primarily so gaming not a big factor.

Soldato
OP
The Yoga 13 looks interesting, as does the Carbon X1 but the screen is a mediocre TN panel, they have released a touch version which I'm not really bothered about but is supposed to be of slightly better quality.

Associate
New Dell XPS 13? Gorilla glass screen, magnesium and carbon fibre!

1080p res and good cpus available. I want one!

Soldato
Chromebook Pixel is something a little different and could fit the bill. I know you asked about Windows but for your usage it's also probably worth a look unless your studies require certain desktop programs. Meant to have awesome build quality, absolute stunner of a screen and since it's such a lightweight OS it runs pretty damn quickly (as it loads itself onto RAM rather than reading from a hard drive or similar)

Soldato
OP
XPS is a good call, nice to see Dell putting out something of quality for a change.

I like the look of the Pixel, stunning looking machine but so limited, I am a power user (at least on my desktop) and although I don't need too much from a laptop I just feel the Pixel would be too inflexible for me. Although Google Drive has improved I don't think I could get by without full Word and Excel in practice.

Back
Top Bottom