North Korea threatens US with a pre-emptive nuclear strike.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
However, NK would be able to cause a huge amount of damage to South Korea first.

Exactly, so the question is, if you were the US/SK or even the UN, do you wait for NK to potentially drop a nuke on Seoul, Japan or even the Hawaii or Alaska before wiping them off the face of the Earth or do you pre-emptively attack based on intelligence and deal with the political backlash, potentially causing a wider conflict.

Caporegime
http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/randompics/emoticons/gifs/paperlookup.gif[img]

And Jong Il wasn't?![/QUOTE]

Yes he was?

I know you wait with baited breath for the opportunity to pull out your vast collection of hilarious gifs, but after you've failed to understand something doesn't seem like the best timing.

Soldato
I think calling any conflict between the US and NK a "war" is a bit extreme seeing as it would probably last all of a week, beginning with the US bombing every strategic installation in NK and rendering their entire military useless.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
So we have forgotten China then? If the USA were to get involved I doubt China would just sit their and do nothing, considering the war would be in almost in their own back yard.

if the us just invade nk i can see china getting involved some how, but if nk invade/attack the south or try something else first and american retaliate china will sit back and let the states spend a lot of money on another war.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yes he was?

I know you wait with baited breath for the opportunity to pull out your vast collection of hilarious gifs, but after you've failed to understand something doesn't seem like the best timing.

Sigh. I was referring to your post which read like you were saying Jong Un is trying to make it seem like he's in charge whereas Il wasn't. You're supposed to be clever enough to discern sarcasm :/

Never mind.

Soldato
Economic sanctions are an act of war, it's the modern equivalent of surrounding a castle with an army and not letting any supplies inside.

+1

That is "Exactly" what sanctions are! A Politically correct word for Siege!

The whole point of a siege is specifically to make the civilian populations suffer!

Soldato
interesting development this morning, the North have cut off their hotline and closed thier border. In the last few weeks I thought they were just mouthing off but now I'm thinking they will actually shoot first.
Maybe this whole time they have shied away from a boots on the ground army, waiting for a missile delivery system to be perfected.
This won't be WW3 though, its going to be all against NK. I guess the tricky thing is how do you respond, in what magnitude. if the south and US want to go preemptive they will probably **** off a lot of nations.

Quite, it is possible that they might go full retard but I doubt it. Very bad for all those involved if it does happen.

NK would be absolutely flattened in a war. The US is incredibly strong when it comes to conventional warfare. The reason they have trouble in Afghanistan etc is because it's asymmetrical warfare.

However, NK would be able to cause a huge amount of damage to South Korea first.

The majority of NK are brainwashed into thinking the world is their enemy, I would have thought it would be a rather drawn out and bloody conflict. The main state news paper is available in English on its website, gives a good insight into what the NK people are being told.

Man of Honour
The majority of NK are brainwashed into thinking the world is their enemy.

This isn't as true as people think. A lot of them just follow the rhetoric to fit in.

We got some of the tour guides drunk over there and they started to say how terrible everything was there. Also got chatting with soldiers on a train and they didn't seem too resentful of any of us, they wanted to practice their English and asked us for news about English football teams.

There is quite a lot of information leaking in from the outside, the people aren't that naive.

Soldato
The majority of NK are brainwashed into thinking the world is their enemy,

Given that the chronic food shortages (and other internal economic problems) are pretty well a direct (and intended) consequence of the ongoing siege. they might just well have a good reason for believing so!

Associate
Exactly, so the question is, if you were the US/SK or even the UN, do you wait for NK to potentially drop a nuke on Seoul, Japan or even the Hawaii or Alaska before wiping them off the face of the Earth or do you pre-emptively attack based on intelligence and deal with the political backlash, potentially causing a wider conflict.

Interesting idea.

I smell a false flag "incident". US retaliates in "self defence", NK becomes global exporter of glass, but you have to wash off the ash first.

Soldato
This isn't as true as people think. A lot of them just follow the rhetoric to fit in.

We got some of the tour guides drunk over there and they started to say how terrible everything was there. Also got chatting with soldiers on a train and they didn't seem too resentful of any of us, they wanted to practice their English and asked us for news about English football teams.

There is quite a lot of information leaking in from the outside, the people aren't that naive.

I'm not saying the vast population are stupid just what they have been told all their lives, also I would expect the tour guides and people you would have met despite being hand picked can not argue with their experiences of the outside world due to their unique-ish position of being able to meet with foreigners.
What I was getting at is if war was to heat up again the general population seeing South Koreans rolling in with US soldiers and armour does give credibility to the **** they have been fed most of their lives.

Man of Honour
I'm not saying the vast population are stupid just what they have been told all their lives, also I would expect the tour guides and people you would have met despite being hand picked can not argue with their experiences of the outside world due to their unique-ish position of being able to meet with foreigners.

I agree on the tour guide front but not the soldiers, we were on a domestic train in a carriage of about 100 people. I only met those particular soldiers because I went for a smoke between the carriages and so had they, they weren't senior and weren't very well off (smoking newspaper rollies until I gave them some cigarettes).

Caporegime
I wonder how many nuclear subs are aournd that area now.

Seriously this needs to be sorted. I don't know how. I would be ******** myself of I lived in either Korea

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I think with China supporting these sanctions it shows even they are losing patience

they like having north korea as a geographical buffer zone..but may feel that with the regime destabilisng the region that it might just be better off putting their own people in charge. they might feel its time for themselves to effect some sort of regime change..they could let the US do the dirty work then offer to help stabilise the region again with a transitional govt

I dont for a second think china want such uncertainty along their borders and their attitude is changing..I also think they dont really want a unified korea...but with the north koreans now ignoring them they may have to act themselves

Soldato
You have to remember that China is a completely different animal then it was even 10 years ago. You can barely call it a Communist state anymore. Because it's been seduced by the international stage and because of it, it's had huge economical success and has seen what Capitalism can do to turn a poor country to one of the richest in the world.

It's not stupid enough to isolate itself from the world over a tiny egotistical country like NK that have tamtrums like a 5 year old. It's grown up and joined the rest of the world

Last edited:
Soldato
You have to remember that China is a completely different animal then it was even 10 years ago. You can barely call it a Communist state anymore. Because it's been seduced by the international stage and because of it, it's had huge economical success and has seen what Capitalism can do to turn a poor country to one of the richest in the world.

It's not stupid enough to isolate itself from the world over a tiny egotistical country like NK that have tamtrums like a 5 year old. It's grown up and joined the rest of the world

Agreed, good post. They like to front their "old ways" but they have really been dragged into the "modern world" and they like it!

Back
Top Bottom