MK4 Golf Wishbone Replacement. What a PITA!

Soldato
I've just replaced both the Wishbones on the Front of my sisters Golf TDi.

The bushes were shot, and the ball joints didn't look much better. So I got her to order up some new Lemforder bits from Carpartsforless (ECP)

The job looked simple enough, but I clearly under estimated German Engineering. Everything was simple, except the chuffing balls joints! They have a hex key in the centre of them so you can do up the 18mm nut without the Joint rotating in its socket. The bright spark who designed it left a 2-3 gap between this and the driveshaft in the hub above it. So, after cussing and grinding down allen keys with no success, I had to undo the nut in the hub and knock the driveshafts out to gain access.

Stupid German engineering.

Rant over. (Awaits someone to come in here and tell me I was wrong :p)

Edit, It also rained a lot this afternoon. I'm posting this whilst feeling very damp. I think charging her £100 to do the job (and servicing it) is more than fair?!

Soldato
You charged your sister for a few hours work ? Don't you get on then ?

A surprisingly common contributing factor in the failure of small businesses is doing too many "Favours" for family and friends!

Unless you have an agreed "Quid pro Quo" in place, you should charge the going rate!

There is a difference between keeping the money in the family and working for nothing!

Soldato
A surprisingly common contributing factor in the failure of small businesses is doing too many "Favours" for family and friends!

Unless you have an agreed "Quid pro Quo" in place, you should charge the going rate!

There is a difference between keeping the money in the family and working for nothing!

Yes, but it is your sister. Of all the people I'd have though parents and siblings get a free pass on your time.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour

I am 47 years old & think I know how things work. :p

Firstly we are Not talking about Friends we are talking Your Sister, You know that person you grew up with.

It's one thing your Sister bunging you some beer tokens for helping her out & it's another Charging her for doing a job. Not exactly cheap either is it.

Permabanned
Sounds a right PITA but my sister would bitch slap me into next week if I tried that.

She would be good enough to bung me a few quid for helping her out but I wouldn't accept it if she offered, because she's my sister.

If you don't get on with her why did you agree to fix her car?

Soldato
OP
Sounds a right PITA but my sister would bitch slap me into next week if I tried that.

She would be good enough to bung me a few quid for helping her out but I wouldn't accept it if she offered, because she's my sister.

If you don't get on with her why did you agree to fix her car?

Because she kept pestering me to do it. She uses a mobile mechanic who won't come out for less than £80.

The local garage wanted over £300 to change the wheel bearing, and do the wishbones.

Soldato
impact gun helps but ive cut off many many mk2/mk3/mk4 ball joints

the three bolts that clamp it to the wishbone also have clever ways to ruin your day too and captive bolts coming uncaptive

Soldato
OP
The problem wasn't that is was seized Matt. It was the lack of clearance between the driveshaft and the balljoint.

I thought it would be simple having new Balljoints. But it was just ballache :p

Associate
Taper has been that tight on all the ones i've done that I can get the nut undone with an open ended spanner with the shaft still fitted. And fitting new ones its usually tight enough held against the taper to get the nut done up again, ten minutes each side tops.

I've only done Mk5/8P mind so I may have age and lack of rust on my side but its the same design. Naff design all the same.

Soldato
I had to do the same job on a 500 the other week. Complete PITA as the front bumper and some box section has to come out to get the wishbone out. That and every nut/bolt is a different size!

Back
Top Bottom