Moving to Canada for 12 months - IEC Working Holiday Visa

Permabanned
Very surprised how quickly they went this year by adding all 3 times they were open I think all applications went in a matter of 1 hour in total...

The Past 2 years they opened the IEC visa up in December/January so all of the places didn't fill up and get taken until June/July.

good luck to everyone, I'm still in Toronto applying for my PR with my GF here

Soldato
Good to hear your friend got in. Not long to go for you guys now!

We started packing up our flat today, so much to do in 10 days!

I got a guy looking at my car tomorrow which is the last thing i need to sort, otherwise i've already temp moved back home so living with just the PC out of storage in the spare room; just a case of visiting folks and saying good bye (big drink up at the end of the month) and relaxing before my USA Adventure!

Woohoo, got my notification email and just uploaded proof of payment. Fingers crossed for the rest!

EDIT: Although, looking at processing times, if it takes 8 weeks to get my LOI I am screwed, because I turn 31 at end of the month :( But it does say 'at time application is received' on the front page - hopefully they mean the IEC application and not my fully completed main one with police certificate etc!

You should be fine, it might not take the 8 weeks now it's all online, I got in the first batch on Feb 14th and had my POE by March 5th - so like 3 weeks!

Congrats on getting in though, big weight lifted eh!

Very surprised how quickly they went this year by adding all 3 times they were open I think all applications went in a matter of 1 hour in total...

The Past 2 years they opened the IEC visa up in December/January so all of the places didn't fill up and get taken until June/July.

It was May last year, but I imagine a big part of that is that it was mail based and not all online like this year - makes me worried for next year though as I want a second! XD

good luck to everyone, I'm still in Toronto applying for my PR with my GF here

Soldato

I don't think it was as quick as that, round 1 took about 3 hours, round 2 took 2ish, then round 3 took about 15 minutes :eek:

My girlfriend got her conditional letter of acceptance today, woo :D

Soldato
I'm onto stage 2 now where I have to get things ready for the CIC... Any idea on how to get a police check? :p I was going to pop down to the local station today

Soldato
Sold my car this morning and confirmed my bonus from my old job - that's £7500 in the bank for Canada XD

That's one thing that I keep forgetting to budget in - the sale of my car. My money saved won't be anywhere near as much as that (Hopefully about £2k), but I need to remember about my car! That's a nice bonus lump :)

Soldato
That's one thing that I keep forgetting to budget in - the sale of my car. My money saved won't be anywhere near as much as that (Hopefully about £2k), but I need to remember about my car! That's a nice bonus lump :)

Bulk of it came from the car, the bonus just topped it off nicely, if my money works out I might splurge any cash >7.5 on a Lego SSD XD

Soldato
What are you all doing for health insurance? I've had a good look around and I'm no closer to finding one :p

these seem to be cheapest: http://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/

How long should I wait for a receipt for the money? I'm only wondering as I sent it on Friday so it would have gotten slowed by the weekend. Not panicking yet.

Friend not got his yet either, tasken almost 2 weeks for some! :/

Soldato
Love your priorities ;)

In case I don't get chance before you go good luck mate, I loved Canada and hope it goes well for you. Ages since we chatted!

It's been a while since those Xbox days Dan, add me on steam if you have it as I am on my PC more these days (username = mcdaniel).

Talking about Lego as priorities, part of me is thinking of getting a job at the Lego Stores out there, I am 50/50 between going out there and trying to get a career and stay for good and enjoy the country with a job I love doing (lego... come on, awesome) and travelling the country a bit!

Either way I am 28 today, going to have a bang up meal later with the parents and then I got just over 3 weeks before my flight to the US.

It's an awesome year thus far!

Soldato
OP
My girlfriend and I are packing up our flat today, moving our stuff out tomorrow, then staying here with the bare essentials until we leave on Thursday. Then we fly on Tuesday. People keep asking if we're excited, but we're not, we're both feel a bit down actually. We had a leaving do with loads of friends on Saturday and I think were beginning to realise the enormity of what is happening next week.

Having said that, we're looking through apartments so we can line up some viewings later this week and it's getting us a little more excited about it.

Associate
My girlfriend and I are packing up our flat today, moving our stuff out tomorrow, then staying here with the bare essentials until we leave on Thursday. Then we fly on Tuesday. People keep asking if we're excited, but we're not, we're both feel a bit down actually. We had a leaving do with loads of friends on Saturday and I think were beginning to realise the enormity of what is happening next week.

Having said that, we're looking through apartments so we can line up some viewings later this week and it's getting us a little more excited about it.

All the best bud, once you're there it'll be an amazing experience.

The initial thought of leaving everyone is sad, but they're only a phone call away, or that's how I see it when I leave next year :)

Enjoy! :) :D

Back
Top Bottom