Poll: If You Don’t Have 64-Bit Windows in 2013, You’ll be Missing Out

32 or 64bit Windows?

• 32bit

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 64bit

Votes: 210 98.6%

• Total voters
Permabanned
Microsoft will send the 64 bit version to you free of charge if you ask them, tho you will have to pay postage, all you do is use ur 32 bit Key and off you go!

Caporegime
It was possible to address up to 64GB memory under 32bit with PAE but Microsoft being the nobs they are never adopted it.

To use PAE, operating system support is required. Intel versions of Mac OS X support PAE. The Linux kernel supports PAE as a build option and most major distributions provide a PAE kernel either as the default or as an option (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6+ kernels expect PAE). FreeBSD and NetBSD also support PAE as a kernel build option.

Microsoft Windows implements PAE if booted with the appropriate option, but current 32-bit desktop editions enforce the physical address space within 4 GB even in PAE mode. According to Geoff Chappell, Microsoft limits 32-bit versions of Windows to 4 GB as a matter of its licensing policy, and Microsoft Technical Fellow Mark Russinovich says that some drivers were found to be unstable when encountering physical addresses above 4 GB. Unofficial kernel patches for Windows Vista and Windows 7 32-bit are available that break this Microsoft enforced limitation, though the stability is not guaranteed. These tools increase the RAM limit of the 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64 GB.

PAE support has existed in processors since 1995.

Caporegime
So they can use the 64bit system to enable RAM to be more efficient, which leads to better gameplay/visuals etc? Is that right?

No, 64-bit addressing is slightly less efficient (due to pointer size increases). The whole point of 64-bit is being able to use more RAM. XP 32-bit was limited to 3.5 gig overall and 2 gig per process.

Soldato
As I understand it, the issue is with increasing VRAM on GPU's

A 32bit OS can address 4GB of RAM. The 1GB or 2GB on the GPU is directly addressable so comes out of the 4GB system address budget.

I.e. with a 2GB card you may have only 1.5 - 1.8GB of Ram available to the OS. The remainder is in the system, but there are no remaining pointers to link to it.

As games required more and more textures to improve the appearance, bigger frame buffers are needed hence the move to 64bit OS and a probable requirement for 2GB frame buffer

AD

Soldato
I was unaware of this!

Also, when popping in Windows 7/8 installation media, you can upgrade from Windows 7 32bit to Windows 7/8 64bit and keep programs, but obviously you cannot go from 64bit to 32bit.

fail. even though you quoted my post, you completed ignored this rather important part of it.

you can't upgrade so you do need to do a clean install.

i know this has already been clarified in responses since but i felt the need to point it out since you missed it. :p

Soldato
As I understand it, the issue is with increasing VRAM on GPU's

A 32bit OS can address 4GB of RAM. The 1GB or 2GB on the GPU is directly addressable so comes out of the 4GB system address budget.

I.e. with a 2GB card you may have only 1.5 - 1.8GB of Ram available to the OS. The remainder is in the system, but there are no remaining pointers to link to it.

As games required more and more textures to improve the appearance, bigger frame buffers are needed hence the move to 64bit OS and a probable requirement for 2GB frame buffer

AD

Not true,

My work machine (XP 32) has a 1GB GPU and 4GB ram, windows usable? 3.5GB.

Simulation machine I run FS9 has a 2GB GPU and also has 3.5GB usable IIRC.

From my googling 256MB of memory is used to transfer to and from GPUs.

Putting a 4GB GPU into a 32 bit machine doesn't mean you have 0 memory.

Associate
So it's only taken 9 years since Athlon64 for 64-bit to become standard?

Software is still so far behind hardware. Crysis (2007) was 64-bit and Crysis 2 and 3(2013) are 32-bit in a bizarre backwards step.

X3: TC and AP use 4Gb and could use a lot more if they were 64-bit. Battlefield 3 is said to use 3.5-4Gb somewhere on here.

Associate
Not true,

My work machine (XP 32) has a 1GB GPU and 4GB ram, windows usable? 3.5GB.

Simulation machine I run FS9 has a 2GB GPU and also has 3.5GB usable IIRC.

From my googling 256MB of memory is used to transfer to and from GPUs.

Putting a 4GB GPU into a 32 bit machine doesn't mean you have 0 memory.

No he is right windows can only see 3.5GB of system memory (GPU+RAM).
so as GPU Ram increses you can't address an increaseing amount of RAM

I doubt it would just address VRam thou.

Soldato
Battlefield 3 does not run without constant crashing unless you have a 64 bit OS it needs at least 2.5Gb free Ram to work properly so if you have a 32 bit OS you need to either type a command line instruction to increase this or change your boot.ini for PAE if your GPU has more than 1GB VRam which this game needs.

Associate
Your 'test' doesn't really tell the whole story because:
-Most games use 32bit exes with a 2GB limit so you will never see them using huge amounts anyway
-Obviously old/current games are going to be catering for less RAM than future games
-Those games are all cross-platform with PS3/XB360 so will have been designed with less memory in mind than say games designed for PS4
-Texture size has a big impact, if people want to ran with massive texture packs it can boost RAM usage (as well as VRAM) a lot. So even if the game exe is using say 1.5GB the actual memory footprint from the game as a whole may be larger than that.

A move to 64bit games is long overdue but I can understand why the majority of developers have stuck with 32bit for so long due to compatibility reasons.

I agree with what you say in that the "test" doesn't really show the full picture. But a few return points:
-Most games do have a 2GB limit yes. But some games will not use close to that amount so regardless of whether or not the limit is increased, if the game does not need it, it won't use it.
-This is true indeed. Which is why this sort of future proofing is needed. Later on in the UE4 development stage I think we're going to see games that demand systems that require more than 4GB memory so it is better to phase out 32-bit now while compatibility is not a problem (or at least phase it out for most PC gamers).
-See above.
-I didn't really know that so thank you for informing me. I guess it was a bit of a dumb conclusion to come to that a single number in task manager would paint a complete picture.

Soldato
New consoles is going to help PC's push higher RAM usage, the only reason the games listed earlier used 1.5 max was because they were ports from a console with 512mb RAM. Next gen games will have 8GB to play with on Ps4 so the PC ports/versions will naively support much higher RAM which will help quite abit.

As for 32bit vs 64bit certain motherboards only support 32bit right? That'd be the main reason for some people being stuck on 32bit I imagine.

Associate
New consoles is going to help PC's push higher RAM usage, the only reason the games listed earlier used 1.5 max was because they were ports from a console with 512mb RAM. Next gen games will have 8GB to play with on Ps4 so the PC ports/versions will naively support much higher RAM which will help quite abit.

As for 32bit vs 64bit certain motherboards only support 32bit right? That'd be the main reason for some people being stuck on 32bit I imagine.

You're sort of right. It is dependant on what sockets the motherboard supports. If it can socket a 64-bit processor, it will support 32/64-bit OS, if it can only socket 32-bit processors, it can only support 32-bit OS.

A lot of sockets can house 64-bit processors of some sort anyway. 754, 939, AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM2 from AMD and LGA 775, 1366, 1156, 1155, 2011 from Intel. I've probably missed out a few.

Back
Top Bottom