Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Has anyone bought some beans from Monmouth Coffee in Covent Garden recently?

I'll be in the area on Saturday morning so it would be rude not to pick some up. Just looking for recommendations based on what other people liked from there :)

So I went to Monmouth yesterday and got 100g of each of these beans:

FINCA SANTA MARIA - El Salvador
FINCA SAN ISIDRO - Costa Rica
FINCA LAS MARGARITAS - Colombia

Just about to pour myself the first cup of Finca Santa Maria. Quite excited :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There are kettles with filters built in and there are kettles which keep your water to a certain temperature (Bonavita do these but they're quite expensive and not sure if availalble in the UK yet) but I've not come across one that has both filter and temperature control. Also Ealing is a hard water area and the filters don't really help much with that so it's probably a good idea to descale your kettle quite often. An alternative is to use bottled water such as the cheap Ashbeck water from Tesco (low TDS).

I want one of these!!
http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Vari...id=1362870200&sr=8-2&keywords=Bonavita+kettle

Coffeehit should be getting them in the country in the next month or so.

bonavitakettle.eu is the site for trade enquiries, but it's coffeehit behind it.

Associate
After being delayed by the snow in France I picked up my lovely Italian machine this morning from the FedEx depot! Her she is, its an Isomac Tea iii :)

Almost bought the Fracino Cherub but the missus said no chance after she saw the size of it. Fracino do make a smaller machine called the Piccino, but I was put off by it needing to be sent back to Fracino to be descaled. Found the Isomac tea at a good price for sale at Coffeeitalia, they have a bit of an iffy rep for customer service but took the chance anyway.

Off for a play now! :)

Associate
Currently enjoying Hasbean Sumatra Raja Batak honey processed btw and can heartily recommend it! A dark, full-bodied but really clean roast with only a hint of earthiness, sour cherries on the nose and a strong dark chocolatey taste, but without bitterness (in fact it's got a sweet hazelnut aftertaste).

Associate
Currently enjoying Hasbean Sumatra Raja Batak honey processed btw and can heartily recommend it! A dark, full-bodied but really clean roast with only a hint of earthiness, sour cherries on the nose and a strong dark chocolatey taste, but without bitterness (in fact it's got a sweet hazelnut aftertaste).

Thanks, will try it next :)

Soldato
It comining upto payday again and im very nearly out of coffee i enjoy drinking, i have about a quarter bag of old Jabberwocky left and its definatly past its best and a couple of old full bags of Kicker and Blake that i just dont like.

ive just had a quick look at it seems Hasbean no longer have stock of the Oporapa that i enjoyed so much but they do still stock Brazil Fazenda Cachoeria that i also enjoyed so much, with Jailbreak in 3rd place.

what i would like though is to try other suppliers to see what else is available, from the coffee above i drink all with milk and enjoy a coffee that will cut through milk with a chocolate sweet flavour, does anyone have a suggestion for other suppliers and any other possible coffees they would suggest.

i have found a local roaster that has a market stall so i may also give them a visit

Soldato
I've given up on Hasbean of late, had a run of coffees I really didn't care for. I've tried a few others which have been so so. I'm currently trying the Small Batch Coffee Company on the 3 month sub they do. The first two coffees have been very nice. I drink my coffee black though, so couldn't comment on what it is like with milk.

Soldato
Rojin I have stuck with small batch for ages really enjoy the stuff I get from them, not tried this new one the Indian Peaberry is it? Sounds good though and they recommend an aeropress with it so fingers crossed.

Soldato
I have 1 cuppa left of the last one which was okay as well then I shall start on the new one.
I really enjoyed their own blend not had that for a while but it was definitely one of the nicest ones I have had from anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom