Euro Trip

Associate
I'm actually planning something very similar for July but driving down to Romania's Black Sea and back via some interesting land marks.

I've estimated my costs to be around what Fox has mentioned, for two people, including fuel/hotels/food.

I've taken cover via ADAC after advice from various members of this forum. You need to make sure you give both your bank and insurance company a lift of which countries you will be in.

Should be a fun trip :)

Thug
Soldato
[TW]Fox;23922977 said:
About 2.5k in the end. I had put it off for ages as its barely any cheaper than doing USA road trips but it was great fun.

£2.5k?

hmm, far far more than I was thinking!

What was the breakdown of such costs? Was there a way to do it cheaper? We're both finishing students used to less than usual standards. :D

Soldato
I planned and did a small 5 day euro trip last year and was advised to stay in Leuven instead of Brussels. I'm glad I did as it was very pretty town, and had some nice scenery although quite low key.

Man of Honour
£2.5k?

hmm, far far more than I was thinking!

What was the breakdown of such costs? Was there a way to do it cheaper? We're both finishing students used to less than usual standards. :D

£500ish on fuel, £800 on accomodation, rest on doing stuff, food, ferry costs, etc etc. Looking at it, it was closer to £2.2k in total. This was for two of us.

You can probably save money on accomodation by camping I would imagine.

Soldato
I planned and did a small 5 day euro trip last year and was advised to stay in Leuven instead of Brussels. I'm glad I did as it was very pretty town, and had some nice scenery although quite low key.

I was not impressed by Brussels at all. The only reason I stayed there was because I had a free floor to sleep on for the night (friend of a friend of a friend's place). I must say they are very welcoming there...

Associate
One option (which I did):

Get ferry to Bilbao - drive to Pamplona, through the Pyrenees towards Carcassone, along the French Riviera to Monaco, into the Alps north of Monaco - along to Lake Como, up to the Stelvio pass, into Austria and then through to Germany but nearer the Black Forest, Stuttgart, Heidelberg, Nurburgring, to Brussels via Spa and then Bruges for lunch before getting the tunnel back.

My favourite road for driving was the Hahntennjoch Pass, a real variety of speeds and inclines and absolutely deserted - you're currently driving right past it (starts at Imst in Austria)

Was around £2.5k for 2 of us as well I think.

Soldato
Go towards the end of august and you can make use of a campingcard or camping cheques to get cheaper camping as most of Europe goes back to school earlier then the UK so normally last two weeks in august aren't high season so can use the discount schemes above to save money. Between 12-16 euros a night.

Back
Top Bottom