Miele really worth it?

Soldato
If it's not got an iphone app to tell you when it's done it's rubbish. Gimmicks will sell machines these days.

Miele have a good rep and you want your wife to be able to "show off" to her friends that she can afford better white goods than her neighbours don't ya?

Caporegime
We had a Zanussi in the family since I was born. Was passed onto me and blew up a few years ago. Lasted about 20 years which is fantastic. We bought a Zanussi to replace it. Can't remember how much we paid but was only around £400 mark. Still going strong 5 years later.

I have no idea how good Zanussi are in the white good sector. I leave that decision making to missus. I just look at the stats and try and get the biggest numbers for my money ;).

I do agree generally to spend a little bit more than buying cheap ten times but spending 2k on a washing machine. No way.

Last edited:
Soldato
I reckon that it depends on whether you want a cheap functional machine that you can replace every few years or a long lasting thing, that in ten years time will still be ok but lack the latest feature (spin speed etc) .... ya pays ya money and takes ya choice!

I have a direct drive LG washer drier that has been fine for 7 years and is very quiet but cost £800 ish when I bought it.

Soldato
The £250 BEKO we bought last year is still better than the £500 Samsung with all the bells and whistles that conked out on us several times over a 5 year period. Does it wash clothes? Yes. Is it quiet? Yes. Job done.

We have a BEKO Fridge Freezer too, that's been spot on for 8+ years. Apart from having to have it's condenser replaced as a precaution amid housefiregate :o

Caporegime
The £250 BEKO we bought last year is still better than the £500 Samsung with all the bells and whistles that conked out on us several times over a 5 year period.

We have a BEKO Fridge Freezer too, that's been spot on for 8+ years. Apart from having to have it's condenser replaced as a precaution amid housefiregate :o
I have a Beko CF5533APW Frost Free Fridge Freezer and tbh I'm not a fan.
but I needed one quick and that could be delivered the same day.

What I Don't like is how it turns it self on and off so often , every time I go near the kitchen it seems to be running like it doesn't maintain it's temperature for a very long time at all. (no problem with everything staying ice cold/frozen though with it set to number 3 it goes upto 6)
Where as my other 10year old hotpoint I barely ever hear it turn on but it's a much more expensive fridgefreezer like 3x the price.
I get the feeling my £250 beko is an inefficient design that is putting a lot of stain on the compressor.

for a fridge freezer I think it's definitely worth it to get something a little expensive.

My ex has a £200 beko washing machine though that I installed for her and it's really good everything about it seems well built and fairly good quality.
It's amazingly quiet and doesn't vibrate a lot but I think it only goes up to 1400 spin.

she used to have a fairly expensive fancy one with a huge drum but it made tons of racket and had a habit of wearing the motor brushes out fairly fast because unless it was a full load it would struggle to balance the load out

Last edited:
Associate
We bought a Hoover washer/drier which has been with us about two years with not a hiccup - about £600. I would rather have gone for an LG Direct Drive machine but i was restricted by the depth of the machine (it had to fit in a cupboard in the kitchen).

I have to say that I was amazed by how quiet the LG was when i was at a friend's house. You really can barely tell that it's on. My Hoover on the other hand is quite noisy, but seems solid enough.

I would definitely not cheap out on white goods though, and Miele do have an awesome rep.

Soldato
What I Don't like is how it turns it self on and off so often , every time I go near the kitchen it seems to be running like it doesn't maintain it's temperature for a very long time at all. (no problem with everything staying ice cold/frozen though with it set to number 3 it goes upto 6)
Where as my other 10year old hotpoint I barely ever hear it turn on but it's a much more expensive fridgefreezer like 3x the price.
I get the feeling my £250 beko is an inefficient design that is putting a lot of stain on the compressor.

Although I've nothing to compare it to, I've a feeling your probably right on that front. It does seem to be humming away more often than not. It's serving us well though so no complaints.

Soldato
If you have a utility room to put these appliances in then noise won't be an issue.
Our washing machine in the utility can't be heard when it's on on full spin speed (1600) - bliss :)

Soldato
See this is silly it was some Firdge freezers that had a tiny chance of causing house fires all of which have now been fixed for free.

Aye, when we had ours fixed I was told the part didn't have any sign of the fault which caused the small number of fires anyway.

Any product can have QA issues leading to a recall, no matter how cheap/expensive. Didn't the first lot of Ferrari 458's spontaneously combust on some owners? :p

I won't scrimp on some things like a decent TV, car tyres etc. but I don't see the point in spending many hundreds (if not thousands) on washing machines and fridge freezers (unless money was no object and I could afford the best of everything without batting en eyelid).

Last edited:
Soldato
Only thing that annoys me about my Miele is that it does not have delayed start (paid £1200 for it couple of years ago, it's the Stainless Steel one).

The good thing though is it developed a fault within a week, so they upgraded to 1600 from 1400 for free.

Caporegime
I'm appauled at the knowledge of domestic applicances the "men" of this forum are professing to have. :(

Full of disappoint ;)
Welcome to the modern world :D

Men like gadges and gizmos? most domestic appliances these days are full of button and LED's attracting men like moths to a flame

Man of Honour
lol i cant remember the last time i bought a gadget or appliance and thought,

"Gee i hope this is safe"

Between 2005 and 2007 if it was anything by Creda, Hotpoint, Indesit, Ariston, Belling & Cannon then you should have.
At least once a week we (QA) would bring to the attention of the Italian owners that something was not safe and they would come down and sign them off to our disgust.
I suppose the next question is how many customers were seriously injured or died during that time? - Probably none but that's not the point.

I'm appauled at the knowledge of domestic applicances the "men" of this forum are professing to have. :(

Full of disappoint ;)

There is only me and Oldcoals who have spent decades in the industry.
I was checking, testing, building, auditing and repairing for nearly 3 decades and I think Oldcoals has repaired them for decades.

Back
Top Bottom