Been charged for something I didn't but - Credit Card

Soldato
Hello,

So I gave the other half my credit card so she could buy some concert tickets while I was at work. She initially had some problems with the first website she tried (eventim.co.uk), she entered in the card details, but nothing happened, and we never received a confirmation e-mail to say the tickets had been purchased. So she tried another website (gigsandtours.com), which was successful and we received a confirmation e-mail within seconds that the tickets had been bought.

Fast forward a few days and my credit card has been charged by eventim.co.uk. We have not received any confirmation e-mail to say we purchased the tickets from them. And when I rang to query this with them, they confirmed that they have no record of any order under my name, my e-mail, the other half's name or e-mail either. And instructed me to contact my bank.

I contacted Halifax and explained what had happened, and they said they would leave it with their "dispute team". Fast forward a week, and I receive a letter through the post from Halifax informing me that this was an on-line transaction which has security checks in the background, and they cannot do anything for me essentially.

I was under the impression credit cards are protected and guaranteed, when I initially rang Halifax, I was surprised they didn't generate a chargeback request (give me the money back straight away and then sort the dispute with the company). It's quite clear they haven't contacted the company involved otherwise they would know that no product/service was bought.

So what should I do now? Contact eventim.co.uk or Halifax? And where do I stand?

Man of Honour
I had the same problem with See Tickets a few weeks ago who said they had no knowledge of the transaction but had charged for tickets. Phoned the CC company (Barclays), they put stopped the transaction and asked me to fill out a form with details. A week or so later they have confirmed I will not be charged.

Soldato
Yeah they've probably been treating it as an investigation into 'fraudulent use'. Make it clear that you are disputing the charge, as no goods or service was provided.

Oh and if it is your card (and not a joint card), then I'd not be mentioning that you'd disclosed your security details to your girlfriend. Banks generally don't like that. In fact that my even be where the confusion has come from. They may have thought you were claiming because your girlfriend had used your card (same as folk who try to back out of ebay deals because their 'kids' must have done it). But because all security checks were passed, then from their point of view the transaction was 'valid'. So again, you need to make sure they understand that you're claiming for no goods/service received.

Soldato
OP
I called Halifax yesterday, and they apologised as the advisor who dealt with my call, put the dispute through as a "unknown transaction" and it should have gone through as a "no services/products received".

I await the conclusion of this now...

Back
Top Bottom