Parking Etiquette question

Soldato
Are you a "Drive in, reverse out" or a "Reverse in, Drive out"

It is my observation that "Most" people are #1, Far fewer people (Including me) are #2. I am curious as to why?

(I understand that it is easier to load shopping etc if you do #1 but apart from that I would have thought that #2 would always be preferable)

Associate
Are you a "Drive in, reverse out" or a "Reverse in, Drive out"

It is my observation that "Most" people are #1, Far fewer people (Including me) are #2. I am curious as to why?

(I understand that it is easier to load shopping etc if you do #1 but apart from that I would have thought that #2 would always be preferable)

Obviously depends on where you're parking. For shopping, sure drive straight in, so the boot is more available.

Most people dont reverse in, because they simply can't do reverse bay parking.

Associate
I prefer to reverse in as I'm better aware of what's going on around me as I approach the space. Then I can simply drive out and get the best visibility quicker than if I was to reverse out.

Don
#1 is always preferable when loading shopping, especially at supermarkets. It makes life easier for loading kids in and out of the car too.

Soldato
I always reverse in, why would you put yourself in the position of having to reverse into traffic?

As others have already said, to gain better access to the boot.

There is no universal right or wrong. Anyone with more than half a brain cell will park whichever way is more suitable or convenient for a given situation. I drive front in at the supermarket unless there is a loading bay between rows of cars, front in in my driveway (as it's VERY tight and I'd have to get out the passenger side otherwise) and reverse in almost everywhere else.

Soldato
As others have already said, to gain better access to the boot.

There is no universal right or wrong. Anyone with more than half a brain cell will park whichever way is more suitable or convenient for a given situation. I drive front in at the supermarket unless there is a loading bay between rows of cars, front in in my driveway (as it's VERY tight and I'd have to get out the passenger side otherwise) and reverse in almost everywhere else.

So laziness then.

Thats not a criticism, i do plenty of things through laziness.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
So laziness then.

Thats not a criticism, i do plenty of things through laziness.

I wouldn't say laziness personally. When I go to the supermarket I park in the least occupied section of the car park I can find. This usually means that I could have driven through a space to park such that I could drive out rather than having to reverse out but I choose not to because I want to be able to load my shopping into the boot if someone decides to park behind me.

If a space like that isn't available then I will drive in / reverse out as per usual. In almost all other circumstances I will reverse in.

Soldato
#2 for me, have to reverse park at work, and find it so much easier to do, also the boot is in the right place when I come to load if necessary :D

Associate
In all spaces except Supermarkets I reverse in. Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people I see attempting to reverse out of their driveways onto busy roads.

Really winds me up in car parks when you position yourself to clearly reverse into a space, and the fool behind drives straight up behind you blocking the space! argggghhhhhh!

Associate
Well on the other side, it's even more difficult to reverse into a driveway that's adjoining a main road. If you happen to have traffic behind you, you can't just slow down and start a reverse move.

I should have added unnecessarily reversing out of drive ways into busy roads.

Back
Top Bottom