Worth replacing ARB droplinks in pairs?

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Hi.

Just had the rear end of my car start clunking heavily, got under the car and see that the arb droplink has come off the bush at one end drivers side:eek:

Just about to grab the parts to do it, but while doing one is it worth doing the other at the same time?

Cheers

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Won't a new one on one side vastly accelerate the wear on the other one though?

I've seen some ott things on forums about people replacing brake calipers in pairs etc which just seems to daft to me but surely droplinks is one thing that should always be replaced in pairs.

Caporegime
They break in my experience. After spending. About an hour changing a Honda one you won't want to change the other side just in case.

Depends on which car OP is on about I guess. The Honda ones are a metal ball in a metal cup for the dynamic movement.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Oh, I only really have experience with Peugeot and Citroen droplinks which need replacing all the time when the knocking starts. Especially on 406's which seem to be an almost annual change is required to stop the knocking noises.

Like this...

post-2-1195423098.jpg

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
OP
There is no metal ball on the MX5 mk1 droplink, It is a metal rod with 2 rubber bushes at each end... in my case, the rubber bush has come out of the metal rod somehow at one end, leaving it disconnected.

Caporegime
The Honda ones just snap so I tend to just replace them when they break. Never really noticed them wear and be loose but will have a look next time I'm in there.

It's an anti roll bar. They aren't independent so it's not critical to change them in pairs.

Associate
No point changing them if not needed. They are a pain in the arse to do as they will be rusted/corroded

It really depends how you do them. If you try and actually undo them they're a right pain but it's very easy to just cut them off with a grinder.

Associate
I've just changed all of them on my mk1 (1 front snapped, 1 front just because it'd be sure to go next, and the 2 rears because the bushes had gone).

I bought spare bolts in case I just needed to cut them off, but with some decent impact sockets + plus gas, they came off pretty easily, though obviously YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom