Dual Channel RAM in X79 Mobo -- Possible or not?

Soldato
Quad channel and dual channel RAM doesn't really exist, it's just marketing shorthand for the number of sticks in a kit.

Assuming the memory is basically compatible you'll be fine with just two sticks installed. Consult the motherboard manual for the recommended slots to use.

Associate
OP
Quad channel and dual channel RAM doesn't really exist, it's just marketing shorthand for the number of sticks in a kit.

Assuming the memory is basically compatible you'll be fine with just two sticks installed. Consult the motherboard manual for the recommended slots to use.

Thanks for that. Getting caught up in marketing speak almost made me spend a lot of money unnecessarily.

You saved me my friend...

Soldato
Thanks for that. Getting caught up in marketing speak almost made me spend a lot of money unnecessarily.

You saved me my friend...

You're welcome.

Motherboards are single/double/triple/quad channel.

Memory is just memory. Buying a quad channel kit will guarantee that all four sticks exactly match, but that's about it.

Soldato
Some reviews have proved that the real life memory latency on X79 is actually better (and more like Z77) when running in dual channel so I'm considering swapping 4x4gb for 2x8gb.

outside of synthetic benchmarks, i don't think you're likely to see any difference in the real world.

Back
Top Bottom