Linux Mint 14 on Samsung NC20 lagginess...

Soldato
I installed Linux Mint 14 onto my NC20 netbook earlier today after my WIndows XP corrupted. I first tried it out by using a Live CD and I noticed that everything seemed very laggy except for the mouse. I thought that was because I was running it from a CD.

However, I've now installed it properly and it is still very laggy. When I'm typing this there is a delay of about 2 or 3 seconds, and it is the same with literally any task. If I click on the Menu button it takes 3 seconds to open...

It kind of feels like a graphics driver isn't installed but the mouse is as smooth as silk...

Any idea why this is? I really need this up and running properly ASAP otherwise I'll have to go back to WIndows. :(

Soldato
I'm far from an expert on Linux, but on something like the NC20 I'd install a distro which is much less resource hungry. Personally I use Crunchbang, it uses Openbox as instead of a full desktop environment (being Cinnamon, MATE or KDE in Mint).
If you want to use Mint, the Xfce desktop might be a better option.

Soldato
Crunchbang should be fast enough, I use it on a couple of netbooks. The only issue may be Word docs, as obviously Microsoft Office wont run on it without using something like Wine. LibreOffice can be installed easily enough but its not always suitable.

Soldato
Why do you say "it's not always suitable" ?
Some people have specific requirements which Libre/Open Office may not be able to fulfil, especially when it comes to work related tasks.
I'm personally not a huge fan of it, but that's probably because I've used Microsoft Office most of my life.

Soldato
OP
I have it installed now and it is much smoother than Mint but the NC20 still seems to be struggling with it. It's almost impossible to play videos on youtube, it's like watching a slideshow, and moving windows around is very slow.

I think it is CPU related because when this happens my CPU usage shows 100%... Even just having more than two tabs open in Iceweasel (firefox) causes significant CPU usage. Very odd...

Unfortunately unless I can work out what is going on I'll have to revert back to Windows XP. I have a new laptop coming on Tuesday with significantly better hardware so I may dual boot Windows 8 with it because I really do like Crunchbang.

Back
Top Bottom