Moving to Canada for 12 months - IEC Working Holiday Visa

Associate
My girlfriend and I are packing up our flat today, moving our stuff out tomorrow, then staying here with the bare essentials until we leave on Thursday. Then we fly on Tuesday. People keep asking if we're excited, but we're not, we're both feel a bit down actually. We had a leaving do with loads of friends on Saturday and I think were beginning to realise the enormity of what is happening next week.

Having said that, we're looking through apartments so we can line up some viewings later this week and it's getting us a little more excited about it.

I'd say that's pretty normal really mate, I was similar just before I went to Oz a few years back. Don't be surprised if it takes a few days once you arrive too, can be a weird feeling being somewhere totally new and not knowing what's going on! But give it time and I'm sure you will both be really happy with your decision :)

Soldato
My girlfriend and I are packing up our flat today, moving our stuff out tomorrow, then staying here with the bare essentials until we leave on Thursday. Then we fly on Tuesday. People keep asking if we're excited, but we're not, we're both feel a bit down actually. We had a leaving do with loads of friends on Saturday and I think were beginning to realise the enormity of what is happening next week.

Having said that, we're looking through apartments so we can line up some viewings later this week and it's getting us a little more excited about it.

Just over 3 weeks till my flight but I am at the excited stage - that may change on our leaving drinks the Sat before and as I start to pack - i've always been a "home town" kind of guy never being more then 45-60minutes away even at Uni so it's massive change for me also.

Keep us posted though SS - when I hit up Seattle way on my US trips maybe we could meet up for a pint, it's not to far from Van XD - I will also hit you up for some advice as I dont hit Canada until Jul.

Associate
Had my payment verified this evening! So I take it I just have to wait now to see if I pass their criteria for acceptance? Can someone give me an idea of time frame for this next stage? I'm looking nervously at the calendar as my 31st approaches...

Soldato
Had my payment verified this evening! So I take it I just have to wait now to see if I pass their criteria for acceptance? Can someone give me an idea of time frame for this next stage? I'm looking nervously at the calendar as my 31st approaches...

Mine took a week and a half IIRC. I reckon you'll just about creep in :D

Associate
Mine took a week and a half IIRC. I reckon you'll just about creep in :D

Hope you're right!

If it takes that long, I guess I need to have everything ready to go (police check etc) so it can be submitted asap? I am hoping that it's the date they receive my submission for stage 2 that counts. Annoying though, as I could pay for the police check and then get rejected :eek:

Soldato
OP
Feeling very strange that we're so close to leaving now. Done some more goodbyes and it's been quite difficult; we keep finding ourselves being excited one minute (setting up apartment viewings and finding out I have a third interview on Friday for the job I went for) to feeling really sad about the life we're leaving behind the next minute.

We just want to be there now! We've done so much waiting.

Tomorrow is some finals goodbyes, sorting everything out so we're ready then getting to bed early ready for leaving at 4.30am on Tuesday morning!

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance :)

Soldato
Feeling very strange that we're so close to leaving now. Done some more goodbyes and it's been quite difficult; we keep finding ourselves being excited one minute (setting up apartment viewings and finding out I have a third interview on Friday for the job I went for) to feeling really sad about the life we're leaving behind the next minute.

Tomorrow is some finals goodbyes, sorting everything out so we're ready then getting to bed early ready for leaving at 4.30am on Tuesday morning!

Best of luck Nick; an opportunity has arisen for me that means I possibly may not be coming out to Canada in the near future - I sincerely hope that I do, however if this chance comes up I'd be silly to turn it down. Either way, I'll be making sure I at least visit the country, having done so much reading about the place I feel as though I should be there already!

Have a blast, and thanks for all the help, I'm sure we all appreciate it :)

Ben

Soldato
OP
Best of luck to you mate, so jealous you're going so soon.

I'm looking to fly out in May - handed my notice in yesterday :eek:

Best of luck Nick; an opportunity has arisen for me that means I possibly may not be coming out to Canada in the near future - I sincerely hope that I do, however if this chance comes up I'd be silly to turn it down. Either way, I'll be making sure I at least visit the country, having done so much reading about the place I feel as though I should be there already!

Have a blast, and thanks for all the help, I'm sure we all appreciate it :)

Ben

Thanks both.

That's a shame, Ben. Well, if the opportunity is good then it's not all bad, would be great to see you out in Vancouver though at some point :)

Soldato
Thanks both.

That's a shame, Ben. Well, if the opportunity is good then it's not all bad, would be great to see you out in Vancouver though at some point :)

It'd be a fantastic opportunity career-wise, however it's a long way off yet - I have an Assessment Centre on 9th April, so I'll see how it goes. If I'm not successful, then oh well, Canada :D

Soldato

I am 2 weeks away and starting to feel similar; look forward to an update when you arrive and get settled :)

All the best SS

If any of you are going to Toronto, let me know if anyone wants a OCUK Meetup when you are all here!

I will be there in July :)

My friend got his conditional letter today so on to stage 2 for him! :)

Soldato
OP
We're here! Yesterday was the craziest day I've ever had. We started at 3.30am in my Mum's little house out in the country in East Sussex, and finally at around 9pm UK time we ha our bags an our visas and were on our way to where we're staying. We were excited, then as soon as we got to our room we both felt very odd, the room is great but I think it just hit us why we were here and we both felt so far from home and I be honest I was wondering why the hell we had just done what we had done.

We were so tired! The flight was brilliant but we barely slept on the plane. We are staying out on East 40th Avenue so we although we had seen some amazing mountain views, we hadn't really seen the Vancouver we were used to seeing in pictures and videos. Despite our tired state we headed into downtown and I immediately felt better. Seeing the skyline, BC Place and Rogers Arena as the Skytrain headed into the city was awesome. We walked around for a bit and found somewhere to eat on Robson Street (we love Robson Street - I bet it looks amazing in the summer). Then we headed to London Drugs to get some supplies then back to our place to go to bed, finally sleeping at around 8.30pm Canada / 3.30am UK - a long bloody day!

We both slept really well and are now awake, I feel quite tired still, it's only just gone 6am but we're excited about the day ahead. We have a few apartment viewings and we want to get our bank and mobiles sorted out. I also want a Canucks jersey, but I couldn't understand why they were so expensive in the store on Robson Street; about $45-50 more than the website!

I'm posting from my phone so I'm sorry if these pictures are too big.

The Rockies - our window was dirty :(

GO2uaeNl.jpg

We got a taxi from the airport as we had so many bags. This view greeted us as we turned into whatever street it was we were on. Much more impressive in person but you get the idea :)

ow1mwCTl.jpg

Outside London Drugs in the rain on Granville Street. The rain was kind of cool as the light reflections as it was getting dark were great. Can't wait to do some proper street photography in the rain.

a0GU8Qpl.jpg

I'm starting my 'photo a day' today, which is exciting as well. Not sure how long I'll keep it up but it'll be fun while it lasts.

EDIT: we also saw a car crash within about 10 minutes of leaving our place yesterday.

Last edited:
Associate
Nice one Nick! Glad you both got there safe and sound :) Im so excited, planning on being there 2nd August, still months to wait >_<!!

Thanks for the update already and the pictures! Looks amazing :)

Soldato
OP
Wow! What a day we've had. We headed into downtown around 9am and had some amazing breakfast crepes somewhere. Then had a wonder around some streets to look for banking, mobile phone contracts and to get our SIN. One thing I've noticed is just how many awesome food smells there are around, I can't wait to try some of the places we've seen out!

Anyway, we couldn't get a bank account as Coast Capital Savings require proof of permanent address, which we don't have yet. We did however sign up for Fido, so we both have Canadian mobile numbers now, which is great. We also got our SIN which was relatively easy, it only took around 5 minutes each after we had waited maybe 10-15 minutes to be seen.

We then went to Rogers Arena to buy some Canucks jerseys, very exciting!

It had been sunny for the afternoon but these were taken after some heavy rain, so I look a bit tired!

544340_10151510435806919_1194221775_n.jpg

We had three apartment viewings today, first one was nice with amazing views but the guy was a bit odd. The second one was lovely, but it was way too small and expensive for what it is, and then the third place we fell in love with and put down a $200 deposit on, and if all goes to plan we'll be there on 1st April. Here are some pics from the listing:

maeCsvc.jpg

oqJY94J.jpg

The view:

AXk4MSx.jpg

It has a little balcony which overlooks Science World, False Creek and BC Place. The apartment itself is lovely, as is the building. It is a one bed place, with a little den which has a desk in it, very handy. There's a swimming pool and gym as well which is a nice bonus. It's a short walk to Robson Street and other main shopping areas which is great.

We also went up the Vancouver Lookout today which was unbelievable, the views were stunning!

I'll post some photos of our day in the next post.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Vancouver-1 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-2 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-3 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-5 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Trying out Tim Hortons for the first time:

Vancouver-7 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-8 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-9 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-11 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-12 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-13 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-14 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-15 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-22 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-21 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-18 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-17 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Vancouver-20 by Nicholas Benson, on Flickr

Soldato
Hey man,

Glad that you and the lady friend landed safe; I had to double take your edit as at first I thought you said you was in a car accident!!

Has the excitement kept the adrenaline pumping and got rid of those "omg what did we do" feelings?

With the apartment did you not have to prove any source of income to get the contract sorted, I was under the assumption that you needed a job first? On that note, how was the interviewing going for the job you went for?

Looks like I will pop via Vancouver way in probably June time so will let you know when I do!

Pics are great!

Back
Top Bottom