Please spec me a car, need help

Associate
Hi

Me and my partner are trying to pick a car, but obviously this isn't straight forward lol.

We have a 6 -7k budget and are looking for a 5 door family hatch.

We need a decent size boot for a pram + room for the weekly shop + a decent amount of space inside the car as we currently have a 5 door Kia Picanto which is an absolute nightmare for doing the weekly shop in. I do 5 14 mile round trips to work a week and do around 10000 miles a year

So far we have looked at the Skoda Fabia, kia Ce'ed and new shape ford Fiesta + the focus

I was pretty much set on the new Fiesta till I saw a few reviews claiming terrible reliability problems.

So basically we are looking for a car with half decent reliability that gets around 40 MPG and not saloon size

Can you help recommend a car for me to do some research on please

Soldato
The cars you've looked at are all fine IMO. I've never heard of petrol fiestas giving any trouble what is it you've read?

Last edited:
Soldato
We need a decent size boot for a pram + room for the weekly shop + a decent amount of space inside the car as we currently have a 5 door Kia Picanto which is an absolute nightmare for doing the weekly shop in.

How on earth does this = fiesta? :p

Why not 'saloon size' (leaving aside the point that some hatchbacks are bigger than some saloons)?

Associate
OP
Hi

I used to have a mrk 2 Mondeo but parking was sometimes an issue due to sharing a small drive way.

Saying that, a lovely Mondeo TDCI ST has popped up on my local selling page. 05 plate with FSH, 105k on the clock and even comes in the proper colour for 3125 pounds. My insurance quote for this is 475 fully comp. Tempting!

This could end up being a typical OcUK spec me thread where someone asks for 1 type of cars and gets the complete opposite lol =/

Associate
I was toying with the idea of a 4wd or something interesting to replace our 04 Bora. As a 2nd car it soon became obvious running costs these days are very important to us [other car in sig]

ended up with a '10 Jazz 1.4 Si :), you should be able to pick up a low miles 08/09 mk2 Jazz for 7k, SI came out in 09 and is generally 1k cheaper than top of the range 1.4 EX

massive load space, took my 29er bike no probs after removing front wheel, engine a bit gutless for me [101bhp] but will be fine for the missus and twin grandsons, 100 a year tax and 40-50 mpg expected

eerily quiet engine on tickover caught us both out on test drive, thought it had stalled :)

Also looked at a Nissan Note DCi, nice spec but rear seats dont fold flat and my bike didnt fit, £30 a year tax and 60 mpg, 15hp down on the Jazz but more torque I would expect

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom