Legality of scanning then 3d printing.

Associate
Link to the clip I was on about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ-aWFYT_SU

Looking at it, maybe not as strong as hardened steel but still strong, but won't be long I am sure before they utilize some materials that can rival steel. Also this is not a hoax, just checked it out http://www.hoax-slayer.com/3D-printer-video.shtml

edit, this has got me interested now. It appears they have been able for years to printer layers of metal with lasers to give metal 3d printer. This is expensive, but it is possible and has been done for sometime.

Hadn't seen that before, very impressive. Amazed at the thing the guy was holding up as a demonstration of how it can produce complex items.

Associate
Hadn't seen that before, very impressive. Amazed at the thing the guy was holding up as a demonstration of how it can produce complex items.

Pretty impressive eh ? It can also be done in metal at a much higher cost (different equipment and process).

How long before this technology reaches the home considering you can already buy 3d printers for small offices.

Remember when laser printers were that magical work only type of printer ?

Soldato
I love how everyone's instant reaction this is "zomg people can make guns!". You realise how easy it is to make a crossbow from everyday materials? Has the added bonus that you can actually make the ammunition yourself, unlike a firearm where you need to either buy it or find yourself a supply of gunpowder. (You're also less likely to blow yourself up in the process!!)

Associate
I love how everyone's instant reaction this is "zomg people can make guns!". You realise how easy it is to make a crossbow from everyday materials? Has the added bonus that you can actually make the ammunition yourself, unlike a firearm where you need to either buy it or find yourself a supply of gunpowder. (You're also less likely to blow yourself up in the process!!)

:D indeed. I love it when the tree huggers and nannies come out of the woodwork screaming "ban it, ban it"

:D I can't wait for this technology to become affordable to home users. \design something, print it and use it. Fantastic.

Soldato
mmm, rubbish ??? It only takes 1 bullet to kill you and it fired 6. Ok only part of the gun was printed, but proves a point that the technology is catching up fast.

Now in a few years time when the technology gets better ??

my comment was tongue in cheek. it's in it's infancy but i feel that to make any real progress and reliable products, you'd be into manufacturing machinery money anyway when it comes to cost effectiveness.

Soldato
Not really, circuits tracks are easy. Printing microchips and other components are extremely hard and haven't been done.

well, yes, but some simple stuff is easy - various medical probes have been printed for years - obviously printing a chunk of silicon is a bit harder!

Caporegime
mmm, rubbish ??? It only takes 1 bullet to kill you and it fired 6. Ok only part of the gun was printed, but proves a point that the technology is catching up fast.

Now in a few years time when the technology gets better ??

Well people are making home made guns anyway... Some pipe and a simple mechanism would make a single shot weapon fairly easily...

Soldato
as strong as hardened steel? i doubt it.

There are different types of 3d printer. I assume you're thinking of the type that squirts melted plastic or similar (similar to an 'inkjet' style standard printer).
There are 3d printers which work more like laser printers do, using a laser to fuse together metal powder.

Here is how Charge bicycles 3d print titanium bike parts:

Obviously this type of printer is much more expensive and not really something people have at home, but it wasnt that long ago that standard laser printers were prohibitively expensive for home users too.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are different types of 3d printer. I assume you're thinking of the type that squirts melted plastic or similar (similar to an 'inkjet' style standard printer).
There are 3d printers which work more like laser printers do, using a laser to fuse together metal powder.

Here is how Charge bicycles 3d print titanium bike parts:

Obviously this type of printer is much more expensive and not really something people have at home, but it wasnt that long ago that standard laser printers were prohibitively expensive for home users too.

impressive - bit of a pain though!

Caporegime
This is actually the big issue regarding 3D printing.

Whilst many are heralding 3D printing, as a reverse industrial revolution, what it's going to do to copyright law is unbelievable.

Want a new part for your car? Buy the blue print. But then, what's stopping you giving the blue-print to a friend or such like.

It's all very unknown at the moment, but is one of the massive issues.

As a side point, I'm not sure the Kinect is accurate enough to do this kind of thing. But 3D laser scanners can I believe.

kd

You're still going to be limited to some extent by the materials you can use... though I don't see a huge issue with getting a car part - generic 3rd party parts are available etc.. some people will still always want the authorised dealers to service theirs etc..

I do see your point in general though... anyone manufacturing something that isn't too complicated probably would be worried in the same way the music and film industries are today.

Associate
Interesting debate I never new so much was possible.

Regarding car parts, I think you may find the insurance industry will have a large say in being able to print your own bumper or steering wheel:)

Back
Top Bottom