Samba help and media streaming

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm a linux n00b but I am willing to learn. I'm just trying to confirm whether my theory is correct and whether I'm going about things in the right way. I am trying to get to grips with the basics.

Currently, I've selected Kubuntu 12.04.2 LTS as my distro (as I like the KDE environment from past dabbles - I don't like Gnome that much now, and especially not Unity). I like stability, also.

I'm trying to set up a NAS/media streaming server which I can access on the move on my Nexus 7 or Nexus 4.

I want an environment which is completely unrestricted from the LAN side of things within my home network but also allows me to access it from outside with the use of some kind of login page (to keep it all secure from anyone else but me). I know WHS 2011 can do this sort of thing (and I have a copy of it - not yet used) but I wanted to see if I could do the same with Linux and its extended capabilities. I have a couple of questions:

1) I assume the method of using the account 'nobody' with 'nobody = guest' and 'Security = user' on Samba is preferable to 'Security = share'. This is how I'm currently proceeding. If anyone has any sample Samba configs, I'd appreciate that. I understand that I'd need to add 'nobody' to the samba users (smbuser file) - how do I do this? Where is this smbuser file? Is it self created?

2) Is XBMC the right tool to do the live transcoding and streaming of my media for devices such as my Nexus 7 and 4? If not, are there any alternatives? - seems to be covered by Plex, albeit not an entirely independent solution, as I had hoped. Thanks, though, SMN.

3) Are there any glaring security issues with my setup, namely allowing such low security on the LAN but with high security from the internet?

4) Is there an easy/better way to do what I want to do?

5) Surely this is what lots of people want to do - why is it so difficult to get an AIO type solution?? Or maybe it is the availability of cloud storage that means people don't bother?

Thanks for your help! Any pointers or other information, hit me!

Last edited:

SMN

SMN

Soldato
If you want to simply be able to stream media from a server to a nexus device/DLNA enabled TV, try using Plex. It is beautiful.

Soldato
VPN will let you access your network as if your locally attached, xbmc does not transcode as a far as I know. what format do you require? I have been messing about with a headless debian install with VPN and minidlna

will upload my samba conf later its basic but works for me and I had trouble getting it working as I co linux noob!

Soldato
OP
I'll look into Plex, thanks SMN.

badcompany, yes a VPN might work but is that not a little complicated for a simple 'dial-in to home' solution for purely media streaming when out and about? Also, how would it work on my phone/tablet for example? I can see it working on a laptop but am concerned about the need for a client on my mobile devices to be able to VPN in. It's definitely something I will look into and my comments are made purely from an uninformed perspective. I was hoping for a solution that avoids the need for a client on the 'mobile' device.

i.e. I was hoping to set up a webpage/CMS which is basically a login page, and from there I can access my media. A bit like logging in to Gmail for example and then navigating to the Play section of their website and using the cloud player.

But I just wanted to set up my own, so I'm not limited about what I can watch as I'll have my entire video/music collection available all the time.

From a format point of view, something high quality but compact for viewing on my nexus 7 (when on wifi) and maybe even my nexus 4, when on 3G.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
I was hoping to set up a webpage/CMS which is basically a login page, and from there I can access my media. A bit like logging in to Gmail for example and then navigating to the Play section of their website and using the cloud player.

But I just wanted to set up my own, so I'm not limited about what I can watch as I'll have my entire video/music collection available all the time.

From a format point of view, something high quality but compact for viewing on my nexus 7 (when on wifi) and maybe even my nexus 4, when on 3G.

This is exactly what Plex gives you fella.

Soldato
[global]

workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = debianserver
server string = %h server (Samba %v)
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0

Now you need to configure the share directory(ex:-samba) for users below is the example.

[MyFileServer]

path=/mydata/shared
browseable=yes
writeable=yes
valid users = Thomas
admin users = root

that is what I used to get it working pretty basic but it works and add stuff from there.

Back
Top Bottom