[Win7 64] Performance optimisation and tweaking?

Associate
So I'm currently playing this really CPU intensive game.

I'm wondering if any reputable individual has a few bookmarks or guides they use after a fresh instal?

I'm looking to do the following:

Tweak for graphic performance over eye candy
Reduce any non needed processes taking up my precious CPU's time
Probably remove any caching going on due to the Sad drive.

Any thing else specs are in my sig and thank you very much for any help offered.

Soldato
there really is no need to "tweak" windows these days. modern processors (even poxy little celerons like mine) are so powerful that it isn't going to make any difference.

what you really should pay attention is the 3rd party software that you install. installing complete rubbish is the main cause of system slowdowns rather than anything built in to windows.

the only things i do are:

disable hibernation as this takes as much disk space as you have ram. but some people find the feature useful so it's not for everyone.

run an elevated command prompt>powercfg -h off

disable system restore. again some people rely on this but i don't.

you should leave the pagefile and temporary file locations on your SSD. you want them there for best performance.

Soldato
disable system restore. again some people rely on this but i don't.

On modern systems, does system restore really have a noticeable impact on performance? Working in support, its such a useful utility to have available for rolling back problems.

Man of Honour
Don't reccomend turning off system restore these days it can be quite useful and potentially save a lot of time and hassle.

As mentioned tho most of the issues these days are due to the rubbish and bloat that comes with 3rd party software, OS tweaks mostly count for very little.

Associate
Ms tweaked a few things when they built W8, however the once with the greatest impact is also the only one you can do by yourself in W7 - disable aero...

The only other of any practical use is disabling system restore to save space and frankly for the cost of a couple GB and the trouble it saves - disabling it makes no real sense.. In fact with the update problems W8 still hasn't completely shaken it's basically mandatory.

Disable aero (follow MS' example :)) then don't touch anything else. This is not the era of xp and honestly, if you're running an i5 at that speed no os process changes will make a bit of difference.

Soldato
System restore only works at a registry level. Much better creating an image and keeping it up to date in the event something goes badly wrong. Im not saying system restore is useless but it can be hit or miss at times.

Soldato
I've used System Restore quite often now that I keep it enabled. I always use to disable it, but I've set the size to be quite small, so that it doesn't take up too much room on the SSD, but is still large enough to actually warrant having it on.

Soldato
but is still large enough to actually warrant having it on.

Eh? :p

Anytime I have ever used it, I tend to get some random error or it fails to fix the issue. System image is much better but I understand that keeping system restore enabled might be useful.

Man of Honour
System Image is better but you have to remember to do it. I've not had anything but good results with system restore in Windows 7 when I've used it but I've seen it fail a good few times with Vista.

Back
Top Bottom