Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Thought I'd share a poor camera phone picture of my road bike. It's a ribble stealth with aksium wheels, sram rival group set, 105 pedals, Chinese carbon bottle holders and specialized bg seat

xBmW8Ed.jpg

Man of Honour
Hi guys, new to road bikes and have just picked up a used Felt F95 last week. (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-2012/)

I would like to eventually upgrade the brakes to some Shimano 105 callipers but am a bit confused as to whether they will work with the Microshift brake levers fitted on the bike. I can't find any information about whether the pull ratio would be compatible with the Shimano brakes. Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers

Can't help on your brake query, but enjoy the bike - I bought an F95 last year as my first road bike and I love it. Change the tyres, they're absolutely awful as standard.

Caporegime
Hi guys, new to road bikes and have just picked up a used Felt F95 last week. (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-2012/)

I would like to eventually upgrade the brakes to some Shimano 105 callipers but am a bit confused as to whether they will work with the Microshift brake levers fitted on the bike. I can't find any information about whether the pull ratio would be compatible with the Shimano brakes. Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers

I can find a lot of info saying the ratios for the gears are the same as for Shimano, but nothing specifically regarding the brakes I'm afraid.

Soldato

Cheers

I'd be very shocked if the pull ratio is different, almost without exception on road bikes the ratio is the same. Changing your calipers won't make a huge difference to braking performance but changing the pads will so try that first.

Associate
Hi guys, beginner road biker here who needs some advice about compact cranksets. My bike has Campag Veloce standard cranks on with a 13 - 29 cassette and although I can get up most hills in the lowest gears I had to bail on one on Sun as it was too steep for my gears. I can get a compact version of my cranks online for £65 should I do it? If so how easy is it to make the change, is it a matter of replace cranks and cassette, adjust chain and away you go?

Soldato
Nice

Planet-X TT bikes are very popular at all the tri's ive done. Im sure you'll love it!

You got an event in mind? or is this for TT road racing?

No event in mind. Going to do a few 10's and maybe a 25.

I just got it because i tried my uncles TT bike the other week and it suited me perfectly in the TT position with the TT bars!! Because of my elbow not being able to be straightened i can only ride in one position and i have to have sports massages every month as a result!! With this hopefully it will put less stain on the shoulders! :) Or a more balanced strain. Make sense?

They do the cycle to work scheme so I got it on that lol....

Soldato
Hi guys, beginner road biker here who needs some advice about compact cranksets. My bike has Campag Veloce standard cranks on with a 13 - 29 cassette and although I can get up most hills in the lowest gears I had to bail on one on Sun as it was too steep for my gears. I can get a compact version of my cranks online for £65 should I do it? If so how easy is it to make the change, is it a matter of replace cranks and cassette, adjust chain and away you go?

Replace the cranks, not the cassette. Just make sure you get a crank that is compatible with your bottom bracket spec.

Associate
Replace the cranks, not the cassette. Just make sure you get a crank that is compatible with your bottom bracket spec.

Thanks, I was intending to get the same make and model (which it now appears is £53 as there is a 20% off promotion on) so I presume they are the same.

I presume I will need to remove some links from the chain? If that's all I think I shall go for it.

Associate
Out of interest, which hill around London made you bail on 39-29?

It is called Saltbox hill, near biggin Hill airport. It wasn't long just got steep pretty quickly.

I am a beginner only done about 100 miles on the new bike so please feel free to tell me to stop being stupid and just train more instead of buying new components!

Soldato
Not at all, I was just curious as I'm worried my gearing isn't appropriate for proper hills.:)

I run 53/39, 12-27. If spring ever arrives I intend to try out Ranmore Common and Whitedown in Surrey as they look relatively nasty for London hills.

I guess you could keep working that hill until you smash it with your standard double but your knees will probably thank you for the compact!

Soldato
Had you been up the climb before? If not you'll probably be a lot bette next time if you keep something in the tank for it, I've got into trouble on short sharp ascents as I didn't know they were there and I was already pushing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom