Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It is called Saltbox hill, near biggin Hill airport. It wasn't long just got steep pretty quickly.

I am a beginner only done about 100 miles on the new bike so please feel free to tell me to stop being stupid and just train more instead of buying new components!

15% does look quite fun.. if a bit tight with traffic around..

Caporegime
It is called Saltbox hill, near biggin Hill airport. It wasn't long just got steep pretty quickly.

I am a beginner only done about 100 miles on the new bike so please feel free to tell me to stop being stupid and just train more instead of buying new components!

Strava suggests that hill averages 11%, so yeah, I could see that being a problem. Yes, there is an element of MTFU to it, but equally I doubt I could have handled, say, the Moor Road climb in Rivington after only 100 miles of riding. Besides, you'll find the MTFU'ing easier to do if you're not collapsing in a heap after each challenging hill and can actually make some progress.

Change the chainrings for a compact set. A 13-29 cassette at the back should do you fine, so don't worry about that. I imagine you're more likely to be limited by hill climbing on 39/29 than you are by flat out ass-hauling on 50/13 if you swap for a compact.

Last edited:
Associate
Had you been up the climb before? If not you'll probably be a lot bette next time if you keep something in the tank for it, I've got into trouble on short sharp ascents as I didn't know they were there and I was already pushing it!

First time and I know what you mean. I've been going up and down crystal palace hill and have already knocked 1 min off my pb, not that it's getting any easier!

15% does look quite fun.. if a bit tight with traffic around..

Fun wasn't the word I used! Thought I was gonna have a heart attack.

Soldato
Guys, on the way to work they've put some signs up saying the roads are closed Friday morning for a road race. 9-noon. It has a little bike sign next to it so i guess its a cycling event. Today they were putting up the arrow signs, ive googled and cant find anything about it and id like to know whats happening, maybe get involved. What would be the best way to find out about this? the signs are on Waltham Road and Cannon Lane in White Waltham.

Soldato
Guys, on the way to work they've put some signs up saying the roads are closed Friday morning for a road race. 9-noon. It has a little bike sign next to it so i guess its a cycling event. Today they were putting up the arrow signs, ive googled and cant find anything about it and id like to know whats happening, maybe get involved. What would be the best way to find out about this? the signs are on Waltham Road and Cannon Lane in White Waltham.

Hmmm, I've looked on Thames Velo and Maidenhead Cycle Clubs but I can't find anything on there.

Soldato
Fun wasn't the word I used! Thought I was gonna have a heart attack.
I've only tried to ride up Saltbox once, and I had to get off 2/3rds of the way up the hill. I hadn't realised that it was a bus route, and rather unfortunately a bus was coming up the hill behind me. I ended up climbing up the bank in order to let the poor driver get by; he was very considerate, I must admit. I should probably have another crack at it sometime soon...

Last edited:
Soldato
Just took delivery of two Arundel Mandible bottle cages in Oil Slick black and they look the business on the R5. 28g ea inc bolts :)

Soldato
Speaking of expensive gear, I saw the new Rapha Sky kit in Evans today. Undoubtedly very nice quality and the cut of it looked great, but the pad seemed a bit underwhelming. Maybe it's different on the bike though.

Soldato
Got a pair of Rapha bibs coming tomorrow so ill let you know what their like:p

The Sky top is incredible tho, its supposed to be skin tight and ive lost a few kilo since i bought it so its now a bit baggy, not going to bother with their 50% refund for a size change this early tho!

Soldato
^ That's where I've been buying mine for the last 6 months don't tell the world though they'll remove the super light ones and only offer the standard tubes :p It's confusing because the image is wrong they come in a red box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom