Someone hit my parked car!

Associate
This is purely for advice and a bit of a rant!!

So my car is parked at the top of a small road on a hill and its been parked there many times for many years and today someone has hit my parked car.

Im heading home so i dont know the damage yet but it has been hit on the front passenger side wing and the tyre is flat.

There was a note left on the windscreen from a neighbour saying they who hit the car. I dont know if this is the license plate or a useless description.

What are my points of action?

Report hit and run to police?
Avoid insurance if the damage and fix is minor?
Contact drivers insurance company (if they've been identified)
Contact my insurance?

This is the first time ive dealt with anything like this!

Im walking home now so will check it out and take photos!!

Argh!

Associate
OP
Okay so!

At about 4.15 a lorry from the company "Demenex" reversed into my car and scraped the front drivers side.

The awesome witness managed to get the phone number as well 02089817711 and the license plate (which appears to be a customised plate).

The damage looks quite bad but I'm not totally sure how bad it is - here are some pictures:

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

Should I call the non emergency police number and report it or wait till I speak to the company?

Thanks!

Permabanned
Deja vu..

Left no note?

You should call the police and report him for leaving the scene of an accident without leaving details and ask them to attend to take a witness statement from your neighbour. It would help crystalise those details.

I'd seek guidance from your insurance company, but I'd certainly call the lorry company in question tomorrow. Calmly. :)

Associate
OP
I'll call the police in a mo!

I'll contact the company tomorrow morning.

They didn't leave a note - a helpful neighbour witnessed it and asked the driver if he was going to leave his details, he didn't and drove away. She got all the details though.

Permabanned
I'll call the police in a mo!

I'll contact the company tomorrow morning.

They didn't leave a note - a helpful neighbour witnessed it and asked the driver if he was going to leave his details, he didn't and drove away. She got all the details though.

Amazing behaviour given, I assume, the livery on the van/lorry whatever.

Noob.

Good luck, but I'd certainly press his actions to the company seperately from the claim.

Soldato
I hope this doesn't happen - it's a Seat Leon 04 1.6 SX, I know it's not an amazing car but it's served me well!

It's a possibility. New wing, new bumper+trim plus the significant cost of getting them sprayed, plus new arch liner, new grill, new headlamp, new alloy and new tyre and labour (plus any hidden damage). If the front panels been badly damaged it's a certainty.

Soldato
It's a possibility. New wing, new bumper+trim plus the significant cost of getting them sprayed, plus new arch liner, new grill, new headlamp, new alloy and new tyre and labour (plus any hidden damage). If the front panels been badly damaged it's a certainty.

Yep. I'd imagine that the repairs to that lot (not including the possible front panel) would outweigh the value of the car, around £2k?

Soldato
I believe you can refuse for your car to be written off (I'd imagine it will almost certainly be a write off looking at that damage).

Fox knows about these things, but its something to do with being returned to the same position as before the incident. You were clearly not at fault, they were, and driving away from the scene just adds to it.

Soldato
As a driver of a 24ft long, 9ft wide vehicle myself that is something I have seen many times. It's almost always the blindside they hit things with specially if it was an agency driver who may not have been used to the vehicle.

Soldato
Worth reporting to the police just in case though I wouldn't expect much. Someone hit my girlfriend's car recently while she was at traffic lights and when she pulled over the guy just drove off. Despite her having the reg the police just weren't interested without a witness and basically said they won't persue it any further. Unbelievable.

Soldato
Worth reporting to the police just in case though I wouldn't expect much. Someone hit my girlfriend's car recently while she was at traffic lights and when she pulled over the guy just drove off. Despite her having the reg the police just weren't interested without a witness and basically said they won't persue it any further. Unbelievable.

!? What? Nothing more to this?!

Back
Top Bottom