Playstation 4 Pre-Orders

Associate
your forgetting sales tax and VAT

every time a US launch price is mentioned it is always pre-sales tax (before tax just in case you don't get it)

therefore $399 pre-sales tax usually equates to £399 with VAT added.

the PS3 was £300 in japan and £425 in the uk is another example. the UK never gets it for the same price, due to the various different ways tax works in different countries as well as transportation costs, retailers mark up being different within different regions, etc.

therefore if it is $399 pre sales tax in the US, it is even more likely it will be £399 with VAT added in the UK, you just basically added more ammunition to the argument it will be £399.

e.g. a company selling it in the US for $399 pre sales tax, will most likely at the end of the day make just as much profit as a retailer in the UK selling it for £399 with VAT, this is just the way the system works. things are always cheaper in america because it's a completely different economic system.

Your also forgetting how much the exchange rates have changed since the last generation of consoles adding an extra £40+ on instantly at the same dollar/yen price.

Caporegime
Your also forgetting how much the exchange rates have changed since the last generation of consoles adding an extra £40+ on instantly at the same dollar/yen price.

Not sure where you're getting that from. Every time I look it's always 1.5 $ to the £.

A quick check at xe.com/ucc tells me it's still 1.5 $ per £ today. I think I did see it as low as 1.4 at one point, but it hardly changes that much.

Caporegime
If i've learnt anything its pre order 2 and sell one off to the saps who will pay a stupid amount because their kids want one for xmas.

brave man, this sort of thing will get you shot down on here.

also it only really works if it is a christmas launch, if it is a march launch like last time chances are parents will wait until their kid's b'day

Caporegime
Pre-ordered the console, second controller and a bunch of games from Game.

how much is the dualshock 4? the only price i can see online is £70.

again people thought I was crazy when I mentioned the new controller could easily be £50 due to the new technology, but £70 seems insane.

Soldato
Purely speculation on Games part, no pricing has been released to retailers. It will not be £70.00 as this would be suicidal and ridiculous. The only reason Game are taking pre orders is to stay afloat really. Most of the large retailers will only take pre orders once prices are confirmed.

Soldato
how much is the dualshock 4? the only price i can see online is £70.

again people thought I was crazy when I mentioned the new controller could easily be £50 due to the new technology, but £70 seems insane.

shopto have them for £44.86. It's not that hard to see PS3 ones for over £40 even now

And paying £20 on a credit card would help how exactly???

I think he means in case they go bust again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Purely speculation on Games part, no pricing has been released to retailers. It will not be £70.00 as this would be suicidal and ridiculous. The only reason Game are taking pre orders is to stay afloat really. Most of the large retailers will only take pre orders once prices are confirmed.

A bunch of20 deposits isn't going to make a whole load of difference and the likes of shopto and zavvi are already taking preorders as well so what they doing different from the others?

Soldato
A bunch of20 deposits isn't going to make a whole load of difference and the likes of shopto and zavvi are already taking preorders as well so what they doing different from the others?

Advertising your taking pre orders will still help them, in Games position it would be stupid not to take advantage of it and get some much needed funds in. Shopto are still quite a relatively small retailer and Zavvi are hardly in great shape either. Either way the retailers do not have a scooby do on the prices and it's all guess work on the retailers offering this at the moment. I'm sure the guys at OCUK could confirm no price has been set as of yet. They probably can't though! :p

Soldato
Unless they go pop within 120 days of me paying it ain't gonna help and the chargeback policies also apply to debit cards as well.

I think he/she is referring to Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Basically, your paying a £20 pre-order deposit for an item worth over £100. So this should give you insurance for the amount and up to the full cost.

You can also pay the rest of the value in cash and still get the Section 75 protection, all because you paid the £20 deposit by credit card :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I know what they are referring too, I was pointing out that their understanding was incorrect, particularly in regard to a chargeback, as that is different to the Consumer Credit Act as that has a minimum purchase value of £100. A £20 isn't a £100 payment so wouldn't be covered, what would is if I paid for the console in full then they went pop if I paid on a credit card.

But lets not derail the thread with talk about credit/debit cards for something when I'm more interested in when I can have Driver Club for the PS4 :D

Back
Top Bottom