Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Point is, there's no clarity anywhere on what's happened, only internet nonsense and hearsay. As I mentioned BOS is awful at marketing and PR, so we will never know.

You might be entirely correct, though I wouldn't just dismiss the forks and shocks based on aforementioned hearsay.

Soldato
I never said anything about dismissing there products.

Its odd both TFT and R53 said the reason for stopping BOS supply was there lack of support when it came to parts supply.

Only reason i didn't get some is i wanted forks i could easily service myself and justifying the extra price.

Soldato
Planning on going to Lee Quarry on Sunday, any idea if it's pretty weatherproof or would it be better going to Gisburn which i'm presuming is going to be sheltered?

In my experience with Gisburn its can be a bit hit and miss on windy days. Don't go that often as its pretty rubbish for DH but the areas I've ridden some are windy as hell, others sheltered. If you head up to the slab drop (really just a rocky roll in) at the top you will probably get blown of the hillside :D

Soldato
In my experience with Gisburn its can be a bit hit and miss on windy days. Don't go that often as its pretty rubbish for DH but the areas I've ridden some are windy as hell, others sheltered. If you head up to the slab drop (really just a rocky roll in) at the top you will probably get blown of the hillside :D

:( hate wind, don't mind any conditions apart from wind!

Soldato
Probably gonna be some haters, but all being well I should be bagging one of these tomorrow:

20jmia8.jpg

One of the last 5 on sale in the UK from what I understand (took me a while to track it down, with no help from Halfords Customer Services) and it's been on display so they said we can talk prices when I'm there tomorrow. First bike in over 18 months so I'm like a kid at Christmas at the moment :D

It's the higher spec model so SRAM X9, Elixir Rs, Revs, carbon seatpost & Fizik seat.

Picking the Mrs up one of these too so we can ride hand in hand off into the sunset together :p

1z4e2ao.jpg

Associate
Big Chris where you off to get it?

Those are indeed rare on the ground (boardman that is) but if your local store is any good they can usually get them shipped to their store, we do it so much at mine! Good bikes really, had a few plays on the FS Team and it's really capable for the money.

Soldato
Big Chris where you off to get it?

Those are indeed rare on the ground (boardman that is) but if your local store is any good they can usually get them shipped to their store, we do it so much at mine! Good bikes really, had a few plays on the FS Team and it's really capable for the money.
Off to Hereford which is about an hour away, they said they don't ship between stores though?? Oh well, I don't mind a bit of a day-trip, should be good fun :) Just trying to get the Mrs out of bed then we're off :D

Soldato
Hey guys,

I'm still looking at getting my first road bike - something cheap and cheerful.

Somebody on here recommended the B'Twin Triban 3.

I've been watching it on Decathlon this past week to see if it comes into stock but still no such luck. However I was just having a gander again and it seems that have it in stock in white.

There's a price difference of £20 less for the white version, but does anyone know if these two bikes actually differ in anything other than colour?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red-road-bike-id_8274036.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

Thanks guys

Soldato
Hey guys,

I'm still looking at getting my first road bike - something cheap and cheerful.

Somebody on here recommended the B'Twin Triban 3.

I've been watching it on Decathlon this past week to see if it comes into stock but still no such luck. However I was just having a gander again and it seems that have it in stock in white.

There's a price difference of £20 less for the white version, but does anyone know if these two bikes actually differ in anything other than colour?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red-road-bike-id_8274036.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

Thanks guys
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18159043&page=705

Soldato
chain was getting pretty noisey so thought i'd give the chainset a good clean! Took the chain off, cassette, front ring and bashguard/chainguide and also took the jockey wheels out. A good soak in degreaser with boiling water for 30 minutes or so and good scrub down they're now looking shiny again:) Went for a ride in the back street to check everythings ok and it wasn't shifting up, stopped and realised the QR skewer was in the way of the derailleur lol oh well ! moved the skewer and all working fine.

I normally use the blue rock'n roll lube but thought i'd try the more slightly more expensive gold/ yellow one. Anyone know the difference (apart from the £2)?

Soldato
Probably gonna be some haters, but all being well I should be bagging one of these tomorrow:

20jmia8.jpg

One of the last 5 on sale in the UK from what I understand (took me a while to track it down, with no help from Halfords Customer Services) and it's been on display so they said we can talk prices when I'm there tomorrow. First bike in over 18 months so I'm like a kid at Christmas at the moment :D

It's the higher spec model so SRAM X9, Elixir Rs, Revs, carbon seatpost & Fizik seat.

I've had one for over a year and 1000 miles, apart from an initial bottom bracket problem that led to a replacement bike, it's been brilliant, fantastic spec for the £1200 or so I paid for it, enjoy! :)

Associate
i'll save you some hassle now
replacement rear mech hanger for the boardman is 'item 234377' from halfords - cost me around 12 quid i think, and they don't stock them instore, order only. i haven't been able to find a similar one anywhere else apart from halfords (tried betd.co.uk)

get a spare one

Soldato
Hey everyone,
I'm looking at buying a new bike as mine has gradually decayed after 4 years.

I've narrowed it down to these 3:
VooDoo Hoodoo
Pinnacle Jarrah Five
Rockrider 8.1

What do you guys think? Suggestions on a different bike are welcome.
Looking at a hardtail mtb max £550

Edit:
Another one to add: Merlin Malt 3

I've spent the past month looking at bikes, and found the rockrider 8.1 is the best out of all of those 3, however the Hoodoo is still a good buy. The rockrider is as good as some £800 bikes, my Cube was reduced from £860 to £600 and it's about as good as the Rockrider.

The pinnacle does look good, better fork. but I think the rest of the components are better on the rockrider. I'd say it's just down to personal preference at this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom