Who here owns a Fiesta ST?

Soldato
I've been looking at going down the ITB route lately, Omex do a system that comes completely with new ECU etc for just over £2k but I'm worried about how my gearbox will hold up with 250+bhp :(

Soldato
Wouldn't you be better off going down the 2.3 route if you wanted 'big' power?

The 2.3 gives more torque but doesn't rev as freely as the 2.0 (due to differences in stroke/bore, as the 2.3 is more undersquare) and overall doesn't necessarily give that much more peak power when using a standard bottom end.

Most people tuning Duratecs with bolt on parts stick with the 2.0 as its more readily and cheaply available in the UK (as a standard engine in so many different vehicles) and the revvier delivery, and slightly higher tolerance to high revs as stock, makes it more fun.

However if you are going for a forged engine, and other race spec bits like a lightened flywheel, you can make a 2.3 that revs as well as a 2.0 might and generates a shedload more torque, but its how far you want to go....then its really what you have to start with, budget and race regulations that dictate what suits.

2.0, 2.3, 2.4 or even 2.5l Duratec 4 pot engines can be built, hell even a 2.2 made with custom internals to 'de-stroke' a 2.5 engine to make it rev better....

I would love to see some nutter put the top spec dry sumped 330bhp 2.4 Mountune Racing Duratec in a Fiesta ST track car but the engine would cost many many many times the rest of the car! You could spend way less to go faster...but it'd be pretty mighty all the same :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been looking at going down the ITB route lately, Omex do a system that comes completely with new ECU etc for just over £2k but I'm worried about how my gearbox will hold up with 250+bhp :(

You won't get the most out of ITBs without forging the bottom end and having some head work - you won't see anywhere 250bhp naturally aspirated without revving higher than a standard engine will allow you to go (to see 250bhp you will want a ported and polished head and bigger bore exhaust than the standard Miltek or Mountune items too).

ITBs will always sound incredible though :D

Soldato
Well my engine spec atm is:
K&N
Full 4-1 decat milltek system
Remapped to 173bhp
Newman cams going in next month.

Was originally going to go for a Cosworth inlet but at nearly £600 it just seems to make much more sense to go for ITB's and get the extra BHP. What kind of gains do you think I'd expect if I went for the spec I posted above? Reliability is a main concern for me aswell, from what I can make out there isn't much to go wrong with ITB's so long as your clutch/box doesn't go bang...

Soldato
If reliability is a concern then I would be very wary...there is a reason why so few people have put ITBs on a Fiesta ST, electronically its a somewhat complex task (given the need to retain the factory ECU if you want to retain OEM functionality like climate, trip computer, clocks/dash, alarm and immobiliser, as well as 'splice in' any new management to map). I'd want someone to show me/drive me a working car with them on, and dyno plots for before and after as well.

On that spec engine/car I'd see ITBs as a waste really, you will gain some top end power and a nice sound but you don't get the full benefits of ITBs without the things I've said before (headwork and really wild cams, forging so you can safely rev to 8k+, and bigger exhaust), and the downsides are likely to be poor economy and drivability unless the setups are considerably better than early 'drive by wire' option DRM made for the Fiesta (which didn't work properly and proved very troublesome).

On that spec engine ITBs will be able to flow way more air than the stock head and newman cams will be able to flow through the engine. You will gain some top end power but may lose low end torque (due to reduced velocity of intake air with shorter intake tracts) and low speed/part throttle drivability may not be as good either, but the mapping is very important here.

If you already have a fully sorted car with decent suspension (bilsteins or decent coilovers), big brakes, and an LSD gearbox, then its worth thinking about but there are many other things I'd spend money on first! Just my 2p though :)

Associate
I've read multiple Fiesta ST threads and i'm still having the same question. I'm currently riding on an Eibach Pro Kit with stock shocks. Is the ride going to improve much when i mount a Bilstein B12 kit? Because it uses the same springs i think it won't do much. But i keep reading that people love the B12 kit on the Fiesta ST but i don't like the ride of the Eibach Pro Kit springs. To soft in the rear, to stiff up front. I had a KW V1 before this and it was night and day difference, but like so many others, 3x a front shock broke. If the ride isn't going to chance much when mounting the B12 kit (over standard shocks + Eibach Pro kit) what gives the best handling to the Fiesta ST? H&R monotube? H&R twintube? I'm a bit affraid of the "AP, Weitec, KW family" since my KW's let me down. My car is a daily driver, but never great distances (only 40.000km in 5 years), i would like to do a few track days. I someone has experience with multiple suspension setups i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, kind regards from Belgium.

Soldato
B12s are perfect IMO. Standard dampers are soft, but also seem to "crash" more. B12 dampers are stiffer but smoother... Totally contradictory but its really hard to explain. But then my standard dampers had died by 60k. B12s now use Eibach springs, so you could get the Springs, then at a later date get B8s to spread the cost, thats what i did.

In other news my car got fixed by JamSport within 2 hours, excellent service again.

Associate
That's what i'm looking for, stiffer and smoother. My previous car was a VW Golf 4 with a KW V2, superstiff, supersmooth, loved it (but hated the 1.9tdi 90pk). I still can't decide between a B12 kit and H&R monotubes. I really like the "monotube" design, just better quality shocks. The H&R's are very expensive, i don't know if they are worth it and i'm affraid off corrosion, there is a lot off salt on Belgium roads in the winter. I have 16" wheels (went from 17" to 16") and love it, don't wanna go back. Some times when i look at my car i want it to be just a little bit lower.

Soldato
I had both Bilstein B12s and H&R monotubes on my Fiesta, and 16 inch wheels (with 205/45 R16 tyres).

Handling was great with both setups, the B12 setup that I had first was not low enough though for my liking with the smaller wheels though, it looked too high, if its going to be on 16s I think you will be dissatisfied with how it looks if you go with B12s.

I decided to go for H&R monotubes next, essentially these are a bilstein coilover with H&R wound springs (it has Bilstein stamped onto the front damper body, see below!)

Aktqhzh.jpg.png

The H&Rs gave me the lower ride I wanted and it handled in very similar fashion to the B12s with the benefit of adjustable ride height.

The ride was harder with the H&R monotubes but the car was maybe another 10-15mm lower on them so it was to be expected, the springs are linear rather than progressive as well with the H&Rs too, and the spring rate seemed harder too.

As for corrosion - well the Bilsteins lasted really well, they did not corrode at all and stayed yellow, where as the H&Rs started to go a bit crusty, with the front struts being plated rather than covered in yellow paint like the B12 fronts. The rear dampers on the H&Rs look pretty much exactly like the Bilstein B12 rears though apart from the label, see these pics!

b1wiOyg.jpg.png

FkcmRfs.jpg.png

In my view:

17 inch wheels and road/track use - go Bilstein.

16s - You will want to go lower so it looks right, so you need a coilover, and the H&Rs are amongst the best, but be prepared for them to be a little bit stiffer.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. It's good to get the info from people that have experience with more then 1 kit. A guy at the local auto shop (he's a hardcore VW fan) says that Bilstein B8 dampers and Spax SSX springs are also a good combo, that is't a combo also used on track cars. They would drop the ST by 45mm, i think that would be a good drop for 16" wheels. I don't know if they are linear or progressive. Anyone driving this combo on his ST? Something that drives good on most VW's doesn't necessarily drives good on other cars. I know buying the H&R coilovers are the way to go (monotube and height adjustment) but i've had a mate's Koni coilovers get stuck by corrosion, they had the same plating as the H&R monotubes. Here in Belgium the street is completely white from all the salt when the snow is allready gone, i'm afraid seeing my €1200 investment go to waste. Thansk for all the good info guys!

Soldato
What's everyone thinking of the new ST?

Wish there was a better selection of colours. Molten Orange? Too similar to Race Red. Really wish there was a grey. Not too keen on the white this time. Doesn't look that nice. Spirit Blue is my favourite colour.

Soldato
Yeah, used to like the front end but i do prefer the prefacelift...

Think that's why i don't like the white one as it's just too garish and shows how ugly it is.

CzeWpQe.jpg

ttsoLuO.jpg

Blue is nice!

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I think the MK6 looks a lot better and purposeful with all it's square angles and straight lines, just a shame about the interior because the new one is lush!

To drive I'm sure the new one will be fantastic and being a turbo engine there'll be loads to offer from that engine in future ;)

Back
Top Bottom