Are 3 The Only Unlimited Data Providers?

Associate
Three normally don't throttle on the one plan on other unlimited plans they restrict P2P's etc but there's a way around it, currently I am using the ultimate internet 1 month sim (£12.9/m) solely for tethering as it's faster than my home broadband 12mb on Three ! Used about 8gb so far, no issues.

Associate
3 has throttled heavy users in the past.

Fair enuff - Cant say I've ever noticed an issue but always been on the one plan. Rolling 1 month at £25 with unlimited everything basically is good for me :D

Downloaded 30gb of max payne to save my landladies bb limit with not issues.

Point about being in buildings is a good one as my signal does drop but never really found it to be an issue

Soldato
As I understand it the 1GB limit you can use for Tethering, the Unlimited you can't (for obvious reasons!). What I like about Giff Gaff is there is no surprises on the money front, everything is upfront so hopefully no shocking bills as long as you don't enable auto payments

Soldato
As I understand it the 1GB limit you can use for Tethering, the Unlimited you can't (for obvious reasons!). What I like about Giff Gaff is there is no surprises on the money front, everything is upfront so hopefully no shocking bills as long as you don't enable auto payments

and Payback if you're active on the forums. I got like £40 back in the last payment period. Not so much this year so far though :(

Soldato
Just adding to this. I love the whole giff gaff concept and their customer service can't be faulted. But unfortunately o2 and their 3g network are rubbish. Could be just where i am but is really not useable where i am which is around the Southampton area. I'm going to try three, i know their cs terrible but ultimately network service is more critical.

Associate
Networks vary a lot depending on area and congestion and such, Vodafone gives me the fastest speeds and so does o2 in my area with EE being good as well where as Three is despicable. At work EE gives me the best signal and data speeds Vodafone and o2 are patchy and again three are useless with data speeds.

Before anyone commits to any network its advisable to get yourself a PAYG sim or a month sim only and test your network for signal and data speeds. In the end I stayed with EE as I get a reliable data connection in the areas I spend most my time and get unlimited everything with the Full Monty sim.

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

Soldato
That is a very good idea. My understanding is Vodaphone have one of the worst 3g network coverages and three (strangely from it's name :) ) has the best

Looking at these maps it is unclear though
http://www.smartmobilephonesonline.com/?page_id=43

As it is only a monthly plan though as soon as I have my cash back if they are no good i'll probably try vodaphone - though where we live Vodaphone only has 2g/three have 3g and o2 zero :(

One thing to consider with vodaphone is they have imho the best abroad deal (£3 a day to keep your plan working abroad for the stated countries) So regardless one of the families phones will stay vodaphone

Associate
OP
Just moved to 3 and so far so good. Testing via speedtest and 3 is about twice as fast as vodafone. I am using an S3 on vodafone and Xperia Z on 3 if it makes a difference. I am guessing it's due to their Ultrafast network which seems to be a middle ground between 3g and 4g.

Also to note I live and work in Leeds, so not tested in any rural areas yet but the places i needed internet the most, i have it. Also reduced my bill by half.

Caporegime
3 generally have patchy coverage but good 3g

I get 3 H signal at my house, all other networks are 2g

My 3 connection can cope with skygo, my landline cannot

Associate

Can you elaborate on this? Is it a bad idea to set your goodybag to auto recur every month? Or are you talking about the balance credit thing?

Soldato
With giffgaff you can have a goody bag with the preset options unlimited internet etc. However if you fall outside those no allowance/abroad etc then it uses the cash in the giff gaff account. If you set this to autopay when it goes below a certain value it will add money into the account - if you don't it won't. So works like a prepay with the flexibility of a monthly

Auto recur is a good thing otherwise it will dig into this balance when it expires

Back
Top Bottom