Linux from Scratch

Associate
Hi all

I've just put together a second PC using replaced pieces from my main rig. This ain't gonna be setting any world records, but it would be nice to give it life.

As I don't want to fork out for another W7 or go to W8 yet, I would like to give Linux a try.

My USBs are not responding so I'm using an old PS/2 keyboard. I do have an optical drive. No memory-stick access.

So if I go for Linux, is there anything I need to do or watch out for? I figure I'll download it onto a DVD-R and try to run it. Does it have to be unzipped?

I am a bit apprehensive as I - like the majority of the world - have been drip fed by Mr. Gates since childhood -- New OS is scary!

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Best for Easter

Soldato
In the Linux world, Linux from Scratch is this: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Which probably isn't what you're looking for.
Most Linux distros come as .ISO images which can burnt straight to CD/DVD.
If your hardware is a little older, I'd go with a lightweight distro like http://xubuntu.org/ or if you don't mind tinkering and messing about with config files http://crunchbang.org/ might be a good place to start.

Man of Honour
Personally I would start with a distro like Mint Mate. It may not rub as fast on older hardware but it would be more familiar to a windows user I think.

Just download it, burn the iso to cd them boot off it. Once bored you can use it from the cd for a while or just use the install option to instal it to the hard drive.

Associate
I started to dabble with Linux for the first time about a week ago which means I'm no expert.

FWIW I simply downloaded a few, well about a dozen, iso files of different variations of Linux.
As suggested you normally download the iso file and then burn it a DVD/CD.
You can typically simply boot from the DVD/CD ie use it as a 'Live CD' and try it out without installing anything and see what suits.

If anything really appeals and you have a spare HDD you can install which tends to run faster although some/most/all of the Puppy Linux distributions seem to run in ram anyway.

There are several criteria which concerned me although everyone will have their own priorities.

Software provided and ease of removal - some distro's offer radically different software although, with some experience and know-how, you can remove and replace browsers or whatever.
To me some make it easier than others.

Speed of operation and appearance can vary markedly.

Regular updates seems important and I suspect some are quicker/more relatable in that respect not least as far as the browser is concerned, which is important to me.

There are lots of videos on Youtube - probably too many but they can be helpful.

I anticipate initially using an old PC with Linux possibly for financial use on line although with luck by the time W7 needs replacing I will run Linux on my number 1 PC - Bill and his colleagues have made enough money out of me.

I'm trying Ubunto 12.10 at the moment which is I suspect a safe and easy call but it offers Firefox as standard and fully removing unwanted software seems very simple.

There seem to be radically different views on security.
Many argue that it is inherently present, which I suspect is basically correct, but I can't resist the temptation to at least enable the firewall.
I'm even dabbling with AVG Free Anti-Virus which I'm sure is even more contentious but I seem to have it working for scans.

Good luck and I'll follow your thread if only to see my thoughts shot down in flames.

Associate
OP
Nice one!

I started to dabble with Linux for the first time about a week ago which means I'm no expert.

FWIW I simply downloaded a few, well about a dozen, iso files of different variations of Linux.
As suggested you normally download the iso file and then burn it a DVD/CD.
You can typically simply boot from the DVD/CD ie use it as a 'Live CD' and try it out without installing anything and see what suits.

If anything really appeals and you have a spare HDD you can install which tends to run faster although some/most/all of the Puppy Linux distributions seem to run in ram anyway.

There are several criteria which concerned me although everyone will have their own priorities.

Software provided and ease of removal - some distro's offer radically different software although, with some experience and know-how, you can remove and replace browsers or whatever.
To me some make it easier than others.

Speed of operation and appearance can vary markedly.

Regular updates seems important and I suspect some are quicker/more relatable in that respect not least as far as the browser is concerned, which is important to me.

There are lots of videos on Youtube - probably too many but they can be helpful.

I anticipate initially using an old PC with Linux possibly for financial use on line although with luck by the time W7 needs replacing I will run Linux on my number 1 PC - Bill and his colleagues have made enough money out of me.

I'm trying Ubunto 12.10 at the moment which is I suspect a safe and easy call but it offers Firefox as standard and fully removing unwanted software seems very simple.

There seem to be radically different views on security.
Many argue that it is inherently present, which I suspect is basically correct, but I can't resist the temptation to at least enable the firewall.
I'm even dabbling with AVG Free Anti-Virus which I'm sure is even more contentious but I seem to have it working for scans.

Good luck and I'll follow your thread if only to see my thoughts shot down in flames.

Great detail here, my friend. It is greatly appreciated, and it won't be me shooting your comments down(!).

As tomorrow is the day generally associated with resurrections I shall leave the old computer until then.

If it doesn't work the PC may too end up in a cave behind a big rock.

Best regards

Soldato
I would give opensuse and fedora a try, people on here seem to have a blinkered view, especially with Ubuntu. I first tried linux back in 2005 and suddenly opensuse clicked with me after trying about a dozen, everything worked and I understood it.

You may also want to look at Debian, which I now use alongside Arch linux.

Associate

every distro has a firewall (iptables) enabled by default afaik, if your looking for a gui for it on buntu then you probably want to install gufw

Associate
First stop should be Ubuntu, give it a go, see what you think, then when you realise the desktop environment sucks, try Mint Cinnamon ;)

Be prepared for a learning curve if you have no Linux experience, but don't give in to frustration

Soldato
First stop should be Ubuntu, give it a go, see what you think, then when you realise the desktop environment sucks, try Mint Cinnamon ;)

Be prepared for a learning curve if you have no Linux experience, but don't give in to frustration

I think first step would be any of the buntu distro's ie Ubuntu,Xubuntu,Kubuntu etc...personally I've tried about 10 Distro's but keep going back to Ubuntu as my main,nothing wrong with other distro's it just what you like with appearance ,layout etc...and what you find easy to use.

So top choices would be any buntu distro ,Mint is a good alternative as well(which I have used ).Mint was too much like XP layout to me,wanted to get away from Windows but do like their KDE version ;) .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom