Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Associate
How do you find the m-dac johny? I really wanted to demo one but none of the dealers near me could get one in unless I paid for it first.

I think its very good sound and features for the price.

I was using a Cyrus dacX with psxr which cost much more than the m-dac but after 5 years use the Cyrus started developed a distortion which got worse over time so when I thought about having my cyrus upgraded to dacX+ and found out Cyrus wanted £800 for the upgraded I thought sod that I bought the M-dac in a sale from Superfi for £539 instead and id say the sound is better than the Cyrus dac.

Im using a SBT with the EDO for USB out into the m-dac and I prefer this to my Cyrus CDXTSE with psxr.

I will be buying the Mpax psu for the dac as soon as the designer john Weslake starts selling them.

Very good and long thread on the m-dac on pinkfish forum and JW posts there aswell if you have any questions you can go there and chat to the man himself.

Associate
Hey chaps I have a quick question, I'm about to remove my fireplace and put my tv on the wall with the centre of the screen at eye level.

I have a 47" panasonic led and I have alcoves either side of the fireplace.

Should I try to squeeze the speakers into the same wall or wall mount in the alcoves?

I have tannoy hts 101s. There really isn't much room either side of the tv and the speakers would almost be pushed up against the screen. In the alcove they will effectively be set back from the screen.

Thoughts?

Don't mount your speakers in or on walls. Buy some stands?

Soldato
Hey chaps I have a quick question, I'm about to remove my fireplace and put my tv on the wall with the centre of the screen at eye level.

I have a 47" panasonic led and I have alcoves either side of the fireplace.

Should I try to squeeze the speakers into the same wall or wall mount in the alcoves?

I have tannoy hts 101s. There really isn't much room either side of the tv and the speakers would almost be pushed up against the screen. In the alcove they will effectively be set back from the screen.

Thoughts?

In the alcove will be fine, presumably you have a auto-calibration mic? If so, just run the calibration mode afterwards - will probably add +2/3 Db to L&R over centre...

Associate
Hello, I'm new to the forums and recently been very interested in acquiring myself a sweet setup (on a budget)

I'm trying to stick within the 2k mark but with needed accessories etc might just tip over.

The things I'm buying / thinking of buying are as follows let me know what you think:

Visual:
Panasonic TX-P50GT50B

Audio:
Pioneer VSX-922

B&W 685 (Front L&R) [White]
B&W HTM62 (Centre) [Black Ash]
B&W 686 (Rear L&R) [White]

Some have been ordered and some will be ordered very shortly! This is my first set-up breaking into the world of sound & vision.

Oh and sub woofer is just a very old Yamaha thing from a friend as I still live at home and neighbours right on the other side of my wall so don't want to get people angry! A nice new Sub will be on the cards when I move out :)

Last edited:
Associate
welcome to the forum!

While I have no experience with that specific kit I would say you are going the right route by choosing a scalable separates based system rather than a one-box home theatre package. You can add a better sub later as you say, add more speakers to make a 5.1, upgrade AVR and so on when funds permit.

I dont think you can go wrong with a Panny Plasma, and Pioneer tend to have good features for the price.

Dont forget to budget for some source equipment too, HTPC, BDP etc

cheers

Soldato
Me jealous of all them lovely speakers :(
Having two ferral kids the micro-speakers had to stay until they get a bit older.

20130330_141545_zps7666ca65.jpg

Display - LG LM760T 55" (2 weeks old)
NAS: Synology 712+ (3Tb)
Amp - Yamaha DSP-AX861SE
Speakers - 10 year old Sony micro speakers x5 + sony sub from some old amp
Gaming for kids: Xbox 360
Gaming for big kids: PC :)

Last edited:
Associate
Here is my downstairs setup.

Its a Samsung D8000 55" TV
Denon 1307 Amp
Kef 2005.2 speakers

It also uses a WD TV live v3 and a Denon DVD player. I was going to get a blu ray player but I realise I cant be bothered with buying disks any more so just netflix and love film will do for me along with freesat.

nleZDzIl.jpg

nL3JDUQl.jpg

3m6cXbhl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Oh and if anyone is interested, my speakers came today! went for the B&W 685's and 686's but the HTM62 is still yet to be delivered. I have the amp and speakers now but no cables yet and I'm just staring at their beauty and just dying for a quick listen! :( Should all be up and running and presentable enough for a nice photo by the end of the week! Can't wait!!!!!!

Permabanned
Here is my downstairs setup.

Its a Samsung D8000 55" TV
Denon 1307 Amp
Kef 2005.2 speakers

It also uses a WD TV live v3 and a Denon DVD player. I was going to get a blu ray player but I realise I cant be bothered with buying disks any more so just netflix and love film will do for me along with freesat.

[IMG/]http://i.imgur.com/nleZDzIl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG/]http://i.imgur.com/nL3JDUQl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG/]http://i.imgur.com/3m6cXbhl.jpg[/IMG]

Doesn't look right in the corner. Needs to be wall mounted :)

Associate
Where's the desk from? Looks perfect for what I'm after.

Indeed, Ikea jobby. Just got a rough idea in my head what I wanted it to look like by looking at the ikea website then went in and bought it all.

Random bits like kitchen worktop, ekby shelf, desk legs, screwed 2 cable tidy's to the bottom, feet to raise the shelf.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom