Insurance rip off if your unemployed !!!

Soldato
Quick question. I paid for my insurance for the year in Nov as a full time student but when the course ends in may do I need to then phone and tell them I am now unemployed and pay the difference or wait till renewal assuming I obviously do not get a job before November?

Associate
OP
Quick question. I paid for my insurance for the year in Nov as a full time student but when the course ends in may do I need to then phone and tell them I am now unemployed and pay the difference or wait till renewal assuming I obviously do not get a job before November?

Now that is the question, do you don't you ?

Question,
Has anyone had an accident and were asked if their employment status had changed since taking out their policy ?

Can't type for toffee
Don
You're really surprised that the unemployed are seen as more of a risk?

Yes

I commute to work during peak traffic times, an unemployed person doesn't.

I have the cash to fill the car with petrol and drive around all day long, an unemployed person might not.

I have the money to insure/tax/mot/mod/upkeep my car, an unemployed person might not.

Soldato
I mentioned to my insurer that while working I use the car every day in respect of my job (I travelled between health centres covering the whole of Staffordshire & South Cheshire, so had business insurance)

Just recently unemployed the car now sits in the garage most of the time. Also the car is quite new so still has two more free services to go. So no skimping on maintenance.

Unfortunately the stereotype that's being painted by the world and his widow at the moment. Unemployed = Scumbag. And people are more than happy to jump on the bandwagon.

Soldato
I feel there's a huge gulf between the stereotypical "Unemployed" and those "Between jobs".
Perhaps a category, based on length of time unemployed, would be appropriate. Especially considering the current economic climate.

Don't forget, although you have an obligation to inform your insurer of a change of circumstance (i.e becoming unemployed), the moment you secure a new job means they should requote and therefore refund the difference in premium...

Associate
OP
I mentioned to my insurer that while working I use the car every day in respect of my job (I travelled between health centres covering the whole of Staffordshire & South Cheshire, so had business insurance)

Just recently unemployed the car now sits in the garage most of the time. Also the car is quite new so still has two more free services to go. So no skimping on maintenance.

Unfortunately the stereotype that's being painted by the world and his widow at the moment. Unemployed = Scumbag. And people are more than happy to jump on the bandwagon.

It has become apparent when i have been investigating quotes, house wife / house husband is the way to go if you're unemployed. You're not deceiving anyone by picking one of those if you don't have a job. After all if you class yourself as one of those then technically you are unemployed, just a different way of saying it.

I don't feel that basing quotes on how long a person has been unemployed is particularly fair, my wife has just got a job after being "unemployed", took her almost 9 months of job searching ( she is a bio medical scientist) to get a job. Would you have to provide evidence to a potential insurer of your job searching ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers. Thanks for looking

Its generally not as cheap as being "employed" but cheaper than being "unemployed"

If you go to one of the compare websites and change only the "employment status" you will see exactly how much of an impact it will have on you.

Man of Honour
Yes

I commute to work during peak traffic times, an unemployed person doesn't.

I have the cash to fill the car with petrol and drive around all day long, an unemployed person might not.

I have the money to insure/tax/mot/mod/upkeep my car, an unemployed person might not.

On the flipside:
An unemployed person has the time to drive a car around all day long, an employed person might not.

If the unemployed person doesn't have the money to insure the car, then the whole discussion is moot anyway :)

Regarding the upkeep etc, from an insurer's point of view that is probably a good reason why you'd be considered less of a risk; if the unemployed person doesn't keep it well maintained, then there is more chance of something going wrong. And if that leads to an incident, also more chance of them trying to claim on insurance for it rather than just paying it out of their own pocket.

Associate
Well ive been driving nearly 25 years, and in that time ive had to make 3 claims. One was an accident that was my fault, one was an accident that wasnt my fault and the other claim was a stolen car , all claims were quite a few years ago.

Ive never had to show evidence of my employment when making a claim, so I dont see how they would know if im an antique dealer, an office worker or unemployed. If I was between jobs I would just renew with my regular occupation until I start a new job, they wouldnt know If I was between jobs.

Cheers

Associate
It has become apparent when i have been investigating quotes, house wife / house husband is the way to go if you're unemployed. You're not deceiving anyone by picking one of those if you don't have a job.

That'd depend on if you're claiming for benefits related to looking for a job though. If you're a house "person" then you can't claim job seekers allowance.

Back
Top Bottom